Cambodia: The Taming Of Ratanakiri


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » East
March 20th 2008
Published: March 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

All the rumours of the new road to Vietnam came true. There is indeed a road through to the new International border, but I wouldn't recommend taking it without the company of a very talented Chiropractor!

We traveled 10 km or so along this newly graded road to visit our cashew nut farm purchased just over one year ago. Sebastien had never seen it and had ideas for a timely completion of the house under construction on the land. Progress along the road is still slow, dusty at this time of the year and will more than likely become almost impassible once again when the wet season arrives.

Everything is on the move. Much of the public wooded highland has become "private" and members of the local government removing native trees at a rapid rate in preparation for a hilltop hotel, bungalows, restaurant and bar complex very near the Yaek Loam lake. Competition between tour guides and hoteliers is becoming fierce and land prices continue to soar. For me it remains one of the most beautiful regions, despite the raping of the environment by those with the connection to defy or change the so called protection laws.

I'm typing this on a very dusty keyboard that often has thoughts of it's own, and I'm in the company of a baby wild cat that Sophat's 'lost boys' call a "Fishing Tiger". The mother was poached and my friend Sophat is trying to raise this little creature in the hut that he runs his internet cafe and tour business in. This street side shack is home not only to the computers but five people who sleep here in hammocks (Sophat on the floor..I don't think there's a hammock stong enough for him any more), two of them rescued from the street when they became too old to be cared for at the children's center here on the outskirts of Ban lung and one who was a former monk for the opportunity it afforded to receive food, shelter and an education of sorts. They work for food and a place to live as one 'happy if poor' family and, if the business can just keep this group together, that would be enough for now.

Tomorrow we leave for Phnom Penh, where I can make sure that Matthew and Sebastien return to the USA before Sophat and I take off by motorbike for places I've yet to visit.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb