Kalaw, old British Hill Station


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma
March 2nd 2014
Published: March 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

We left Nyaung Shwe by train and traveled for 3 hours in 'ordinary class' to Aung Ban. Ordinary class had wooden seats and open windows but was cheap at only US$1 for the journey. The view from the window was of farmland looking parched as it is a long time since the rainy season. Generally it was fairly flat too although we were gradually gaining altitude. At one point the train did a complete loop as it spiralled up to gain some height. Hawkers got on at one point selling snacks and the little girl did a roaring trade as we bought up her crisp type snacks.

We finished the journey to Kalaw by bus although the line does go to Kalaw but is very slow and I think we had probably all had enough by the time we got off.Kalaw is an old British Hill Station and in colonial days government relocated to Kalaw in the summer to escape Mandalay's heat. As a result there are a number of old colonial buildings about and many bungalows which had been the British families' homes. Once again we did not need air conditioning and it actually got quite cold at night and I had to put extra blankets on my bed.

On arrival in Kalaw Michelle and I headed off to explore and spent some time wandering in the market. Later a few of us headed to the top of the hill to watch the sunset. It reminded me that we have not seen a single cloud since so far in Myanmar. Kalaw has a lovely climate and I would just loved to have an it in its colonial days.

The next day we did a 4 hour walk through the hills, via a couple of very small villages on the way. The little children always came running out to see us. We had a local guide and he took us on a route not often travelled by tourists so we were a novelty for them. The walking was through sparse pine woods and open agricultural land and was not hard, but was quite hot and very sunny. We were all covered in orange dust by the end of the walk and I don't think my white T shirt will ever recover. I wonder what the walk will be like in the wet, I think they will be caked in orange mud.

We visited the Myinmathi Cave after a very 'local' lunch. This cave has a walk in a loop and is full of Buddhas. I have to admit to feeling more like I was at an amusement park then a religious or geological site. As a note, knees and shoulders must be covered at all religious sites (including caves!!).

Our fantastic guide had bought a copy of the film 'The Lady' for us to watch which half of us did later on our second day in Kalaw.It is banned in Burma but available everywhere and tells the story of Aung San Suu Kyi and her rise to political prominence and also covers her private life married to Oxford professor Michael Ari's and the pain of her separation from him and their two sons, particularly in the run up to Aris' early death from cancer at only 53. We were all very moved by the film and I recommend it as an excellent way to fill in knowledge gaps on Burma's turmoil, and as a good film. We discussed it at length over dinner that night with our guide and amongst ourselves.


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

KalawKalaw
Kalaw

Now the Chief of Police's house


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb