Pwin U Lwin and Hsipaw


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma
May 13th 2006
Published: June 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Trekking in the RainTrekking in the RainTrekking in the Rain

Like the umbrella?
From Mandalay we headed north for a two day side-trip. It was five of us with the driver sharing a taxi - four heads in the backseat. It was not a comfortable ride.

We left in the morning and arrived in a cute town of Pwin Y Lwin late morning. Not spending any time in the town we headed to the nearby waterfalls. It was a steep hike down (and an even worse hot and steep climb back to the car) but well worth the 30 minute walk down. Other than a few Myanmar selling some drink and food, we were the only people at the waterfalls. We were all surprised and impressed at the grandeur and power of the falls; not to mention, that we had them to ourselves. We took a quick swim and quite a few pictures before having a snack on a picnic bench. Shortly after, we took the long walk back up the mountain.

We grabbed lunch and continued to Hsipaw. It was raining when we arrived and raining throughout the next day. During our full day in Hsipaw, Jill, Patrick and I took a long walk throughout the town and to some surrounding farming villages. We trekked through locals houses and farmlands and stopped to watch some exhibition cockfighting. We also trudged through muddy roads during a rainstorm to find the local popcorn factory - we got lost and gave up due to the rain and our hunger.

We left the next morning mainly due to the poor weather and the lack of activities. I don't think that Hsipaw requires a visit though swimming and relaxing at the waterfalls would probably be a worthwhile daytrip.

As you might notice, there are no pictures from those two days as most of those pictures did not get saved. I'm still not over it.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb