"Home " again only to leave soon. But really felt at home here. May 2012


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Yangon Region » Yangon
May 1st 2013
Published: May 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Well watching the news reports today 1st May 2013 , Burma seems to be in a bad way with people getting killed and riots daily and the police just watching it all happen , once again its all about religion . I hope they get their country sorted out , it was just on the verge of opening itself back up to the world , I guess I was lucky to visit this wonderful country before all this happend.

I got back to Yangon afternoon and it was mega hot I jumped into a cab to get into the city center to walk back to Aunty S. My new " Home " !

Suddenly the door opened and some Western looking guy jumped in and asked if he could share the cab , he was Russian and looked the spitting image of Indian Jones , but a bit older , very sweaty wearing a dirty old white suit and tie,hat and glasses grasping a breifcase that looked 50 years old close to his chest this was surreal . He explained he was a geologist studying rock formations around the world , he told me the most amazing stories on the way to town in his broken english , weird how this has stuck in my mind

When I got back there was food waiting for me , sandwiches ,fresh fruit, tea and biscuits.. amazing they had not rented my room and my belongings where exactly where I had left them .

Aunty let me rest then took me shopping for the family and we had lunch in town .

I hung around a day or two looking more into the suburbs and playing football in the streets with the kids using a homemade football , they kept calling me " Beckham " god they guy is know literally everywhere !

One evening on the way home there next door neighbours house was on fire ! Smoke bellowing out off all windows .. all the street residents were there screaming and shouting trying to put the fire out , they made a human chain to get buckets of water to the fire but it was 3 stories high , one guy climbed up and they were throwing fire extingushers to him which he promptley threw at the windows in a vain effort to smash them ! Wierd if he had used them to extingush the fire it might have helped , I had to supress a small smile then ! The " fire brigade " arrived and started shouting at people in a militant manner , they looked like a bad version of " dads army " running around like headless chickens , but eventually got the fire out .

The next day Aunty told me this was the first house fire ever in this street , maybe I was a bad omen ? anyway the house owner was very very angry with whoever called the firebrigade as hey have to foot a hefty bill !

Again it was time for me to move on . Aunty said she would take me to the airport to see me off , a nice gesture as my flight was at 6 am so we had to leave at 4 am . This is the 4th time I have been escorted to an airport by amazing people to bid me a farewell and safe journey.



She never wanted money for the last days of my stay which was a touching gesture, so I got her a lovely present from downtown and gave the maids some jewellary and some cash which for us is peanuts but for them a months wages.Aunty in return gave me some Opium weights as a gift , something I will treasure forever , I would love to know thier history .

An amazing country , Burma is the most secretive , loveliest , friendliest country I have visited and this is stil true to this day. People like Aunty S and her maids give Burma the reputation it deserves. I miss that place and I wil return one day. I write to Aunty at least twice a month to keep in touch and we share fond memories and kind words .

Next port of call is Sydney via a 2 day stay in BKK due to shit planning on my behalf but Thailand is good and I was looking forward to the food there !

Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0649s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb