Still in the Inle Area


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Mandalay Region » Inle Lake
January 24th 2014
Published: January 24th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Several have asked about the lake . It is @13 km long and in places a few km wide . There are many villages that are spaced quite evenly around the shore . Some are on dry land others have houses on stilts or as they are called floating villages . I don't think there are roads to some of them ... they are only connected by the waterways. The people in this area are Shan or Intha and they make their living in fishing , gardening , tourism ( 2 years ago there were only 30 hotels here ...that number has increased to 70 !) and the trades I mentioned last time . The boats are of 2 types the long boat and a flat boat that will hold >4 people but usually a basket or 2 with the rower. Today we spent time on a boat again going to the Hot Springs Spa about 45 minutes away in some very narrow channels .Our boat men , a father and son , had to work together to check intersections and avoid collisions . There were times when passing other boats that we were both pushed into the weeds . It was enjoyable and the Hot springs were also. So was the bird watching .Some I have never seen before .

Yesterday we went on a day trek into the hills and visited a few villages , an incredible cave and enjoyed the views. Myanmar is a beautiful country . I was quite proud of myself walking up hills and down for @4-5 hours all together . The lunch we had at one village was very good and the company , two young Brasillian boys , was equally enjoyable . Our last stop was at a French Winery ! We had a sampler of four of their offerings for 2000K ($2). The walk home from there was around an hour through cane fields , more villages and the inevitable road construction areas . Simple machines crushing rock , women tossing it through screens , while men were breaking more rocks to lay in the bed then a crusher machine followed by tar that was heated in big black cans...all done without safety gear of any kinds ... most of the folks were wearing thongs on their feet .People work really hard...

Thanks again for the comments . I am also getting the messages you send but I can't respond to them at a cafe ... once again dang that Hotmail. Thank you for the updates Dorina and Joy . I am getting your notes.

Keep in touch write often ...

BTW if you want to , on my blog page you can click on to the bar at the top where it lists continents . Click Asia then on the map that appears you can click Burma . You will be able to access MANY blogs as well as 100"s of photos others have taken in this country. Enjoy!

Advertisement



24th January 2014

Dim sum plum
OK, I'm officially on vacation too! Lorna arrived this morning and we have had pedicures, my toenail colour is "dim sum plum"! Soon to the airport to Edmonton, and to Mexico tomorrow. Only +2C here today (not leaving in -35C and a snowstorm like 2 years ago), but still nice to leave the snow behind for a few days. Your adventures sound so interesting, glad you are seeing the sights and enjoying the people.
25th January 2014

3 mon. since we left home.
Time does fly. Tomorrow we expect Shirley. Don't know when we will actually see her. Probably in a couple of days. Tomorrow is the crib tournament here. Feb. 2 is super bowl Sun. We will order pizzas for anyone who is interested in our compound & watch & drink & eat. Was fun last yr. Don't have nay idea who won or even played. Just an excuse for a party. Have fun. love,
26th January 2014

Add Lesley to your Blog?
Lesley would like to be added to your blog. Her email address is: dlhufin@sasktel.net. She was being interviewed today by Bernadette Wagner for a part-time job organizing volunteers for the Cathedral Village Arts Festival. Weather here is like a yo-yo. Warm today and -24C tomorrow and the next day. Then back to about -16C which is at least bearable. Re Linda, Jeff says "the doctors are pleased with her recovery so far and are starting to think of where she'll go next". He says they'll know more on Monday. I went to a baby shower today for my friend Chimuka's little guy Tumelo, who was born on Dec 24 and is 25 days old and as sweet as can be. We miss you and look forward to seeing lots of photos and hearing even more of your adventures when you return. Be safe, keep warm and have lots of fun and send the vibes home to us!!!

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb