Is this proof of a God?


Advertisement
Asia » Burma » Mandalay Region » Bagan
February 3rd 2012
Published: February 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Once you have seen one temple, you’ve seen ‘em all right? WRONG. Bagan is famous for the ridiculous number of temples which dot the landscape in the most haphazard of ways. <span><span><span><span> It’s almost as if a bloke with a bit of money came along, found a bit of land and built a pagoda, a huge temple or a stupa. A bit like Pokemon fads or even pogs (remember t... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 56, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




28th February 2012

Shame...
Shame on these people for understanding supply and demand and causing you to pay 1/5 of what you would for a room in the west. Your prejudice towards western backpackers is disgusting as well. You need to look at yourself for a moment.
28th February 2012

Jason, this is not a forum for abusive comments. Please read my blog carefully, you have clearly misunderstood. Western backpackers who trollop around in hot pants and low cut tops off their faces is not pretty in the West and is even worse when seen in Asia. Those types of travellers give the rest of us who are culturally aware a bad name. This is not prejudice, though since you are using it you should probably look up the meaning of the word.
28th February 2012

The question is rhetorical...
but traveling around Asia where the people are much more attuned to the spiritual world does cause Westerners to reflect on our sole focus on the material world. Quite a few bloggers have been to Burma recently; possibly because the military junta seems to be granting their people more freedoms. When Linda and I visited Burma in 1974 (see [blog=616137]), we were the only tourists around. Imagine having Bagan all to yourself...but sadly those days are gone. I agree strongly with you that guests to a country should respect the customs in what we wear and say and do. Being polite is not prejudice.
28th February 2012

I envy that opportunity. Burma was incredible, and in all fairness there were very few tourists in comparison to other Asian countries. But it is high season and people are flocking there, and I am not surprised. It is a country which captures your heart. It was so beautiful and the people were so kind and generous. It is definitly one place I will go back to in a few years time and I can see myself frequently going back to visit.
28th February 2012

Critisise if you think it's warranted
We were in Burma 5 years back and things seem to have changed drastically already. Back then tourists were very thin on the ground and subsequently it was extremely cost effective. It is a question of supply and demand and guide books will need to hurry to keep abreast of price hikes for unsuspecting travellers. If you think something is worth criticising, then don't be gagged at the risk of upsetting someone. A blog overflowing with lip service is prostituting yourself. Try reading my next instalment on Hawaii in a day or so, man I give it to Hawaiin surfers.
29th February 2012

Thank you
Thank you for another interesting blog, with more great pictures. The info for people planning to visit Burma is really useful as we are planning to visit in 2013 - thanks for your honesty and for expressing your opinions so well. take care.
29th February 2012

Questions
What about transportation? how did you go from one place to the next one? Could you tell me your itinerary, please? I ask you all these questions because I am planningmy trip to that region. Thank you. Graciela. gracetandil@yahoo.com.ar
29th February 2012

another great blog! I do admire women who travel alone... I wish I could but I'm not brave enough and I'll probably and sadly be one of those tourists inside an air-con bus! keep the blogs coming, I really enjoy reading them
29th February 2012

A GOD IN DEED
How is it that so many amazing sights in this World are promotion or result of belief in a God?...I can name a zillion...Bagan is clearly one of them. Glad to see Burma is open for business...thanks for that...all I need is to feel safe...the rest follows...never a dull moment...yep...put Burma on the list.

Tot: 0.367s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 27; qc: 116; dbt: 0.2169s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb