Bagan Different Perspectives Newsletter July 17, 2008


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Mandalay Region » Bagan
July 17th 2008
Published: December 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Bagan, Myanmar


This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: North Village Bagan, Myanmar 127 secs
2: Mount Popa Myanmar 1 47 secs
Dear Patrons:

Welcome to our news letter. The Staff at Different Perspectives try to bring a clearer picture of current events effecting China and Asia .

Although we believe the international media driven primarily by western world's interests, is bringing the public events as they happen, we at Different Perspectives are independent and non biased without an agenda for prestige or monetary profit.

We simply feel the western world may be somewhat isolated from news that is local to our office here in Beijing, China .

Thank you
Different Perspectives Staff
Edward


Recently I have returned from a 9 week tour of South East Asia and reporting on my perspective and personal experience. Currently our newsletter is focusing on my 24 day trip through the country of Myanmar .


Wednesday July 16, 2008 Eden Guest House
Bagan, Myanmar
10:30 am

Noisy morning around the Eden but locals working hard across the street mixing cement with the standard issue archaic 1 cylinder engine putt putt putting away, supplying their shoots and ladder apparatus with fresh cement.

More than 10 men and woman alike working furiously with a seemingly content smile on their faces, to erect a store front that would be used I'm sure to benefit more than one family, as a convenience store or some other type of retail or simply just a shelter to live in.

Warm today as usual, good breakfast and Mandalay book on my lap easing me into another laid back day in SE Asia. It's been quite a trip so far. I feel alone today somewhat scared and unsure but blessed and grateful.

Last evening my Chinese friends Da Da, Grace and Davey and I took the 50 km 1/1/2 hour shared taxi ride through the countryside to seek out the sites and sunset at Mount Po pa.

Mount Po pa is considered the abode of Myanmar's most powerful Nat's (spirits) and as such is a most important Nat Center. It is said to be Myanmar's Mount Olympus. Many Myanmar pilgrims visit Mt Po pa every year, especially at festival season on the full moon of Nayon (May/June) and the full moon of Nadaw (November/December).

Myanmar superstition says that on Mt Po pa, one should not wear red or black or bring meat, especially pork, as it could offend the resident Nat's.* We were not disappointed before the evening ended we all had amazing sunset pictures among a handful of spiritual shots of Nat statues, local pilgrims, and the resident primate population.

Approaching Mount Po pa, and it's extinct volcano characteristics our taxi winded it's way up the narrow mountain road to a height of about 100 meters below the summit. Entering an area of tourist, cafes, shops and road side stands overlooking the cliffs our driver ordered us to get out here and he would be back in 2 hours to pick us up.

Sun shining brightly, we disembarked our taxi onto a street busy with vendors, local families of Myanmar tourists and to our surprise a large population of monkeys wandering and scattering freely. Well use to having humans present the monkeys were quite sociable and welcomed us with whirling sounds of monkey jabber.

Without hesitation we started climbing the some 400 steps that would eventually bring us to the summit. We waded through scores of monkeys cautiously keeping our distance as a park employee whacked her stick to scatter the monkeys from within our footsteps.

Picture taking opportunities galore we took our time pursuing our goal of a summit sunset.

Climbing to a designated spot we were instructed to remove our shoes and socks, as is custom with all Buddhist Temples in SE Asia, Mount Po pa not being an exception. Moving on we were now faced with the humorous task of navigating through monkey dung with bare feet!

Ahhhh the little surprises that make an excursion all the more memorable. Up through the mountainside temple we came to at least 1 room that preserved Nat statues.

A short broken English explanation of the spiritual history, and we were more attuned to the history of whence we were walking. Further on a few flights higher, we came upon carved plaques hanging off to the side with names of people and their country of origin who had donated to help preserve the temple.One plaque was from an American I remember.

Approaching the top of the temple carved and built into Mount Po pa's summit, we scoped out the nooks and crannies of stupor architecture, discussing from moment to moment our thoughts of where we were and how that was widening more our understanding of the Buddhist culture in Myanmar.

With thoughts bordering on overwhelming and our eyes gifted with sites of an ancient mysterious culture, we collected ourselves and broke out our camera equipment, Da Da and Grace with SLR Digital Cameras and me with my pocket Canon Digital.

The sun setting slowly we sat together overlooking the barren but peaceful landscape waiting with udder content for our sunset from the summit of Mount Po pa, Myanmar.



Friday July 18, 2008 Eden Guest House
Bagan, Myanmar 9:00 am

Last evening I visited a village about 25 km north of Bagan. The home of my Eden Hotel clerk, I was invited by him this morning. A village of maybe 100 residents on the eastern shores of the Irrawaddy River. Thatched roofed houses and bamboo sleeping quarters, I was invited to see the new temple that the villagers were building.

I'm sure a hefty donation from me was in the mix to help finance the construction. I could have gave them
500 usd which probably would have been enough to finish it, but I wasn't prepared to make that commitment. It's hard to say no to a people that would give you the only shirt they own and go without.

Approaching the village after a hot motorbike ride, we parked in a dirt field adjacent to the newly constructed temple, not more than half completed.

A large public address speaker was playing Buddhist chants and music filling the air throughout the village and the surrounding countryside. Eyes wide open I turned around a full 360 degrees in amazement at what I was seeing and hearing.

The village it's own entity overlooked by flat desert like countryside with palm and banana trees and in the distant Myanmar's largest tributary, the Irrawaddy river.

My friend and motorbike driver brought me next to visit the village people. We gathered in what seemed like a community shelter open to the outside with tables chairs. All the structures in the village were open air with bamboo construction and thatched roofs.

About four or five villagers were present when we walked in and were most welcoming, with genuine warm smiles. Before long word had gotten around the village that they had a visitor and the large room began to fill up with openly curious villages.

I was overwhelmed again, all of the village people came to see me. Staring at me as I was of them there light brown faces surrounded me. About 30 villagers woman, men and children, equally curious. I showed video from my digital camera, which was a hit and took many pictures, between moments of awe.

After about 1/2 hour my friend suggested we next visit the river's edge. Leaving the community building I was shown out by two dozen villages waving goodbye. Walking through the muddy paths of the village down to the river it appeared I would have another group of friendly villagers welcoming me.

As the rays of sunshine peeked through shores trees, with my back toward the river I gazed again in amazement at the villagers gathered on the river bank all staring at me as I took pictures and recorded video interacting with the peaceful nature of the Myanmar people.

Then it was time for some fried noodles and eggs, especially prepared for me and served at the very small village restaurant, which of course was used for the families home as well.

After dinner it was time to see the new pagoda. Since it was the full moon holiday, services were taking place. As we walked through the village and out into the open area of the pagoda I remember seeing groups of woman quickly going by us toward the pagoda all dressed in the same kind of outfit.

My friend noticed the perplexed look on my face and mentioned it to be "the Buddha outfit", and tonight it was the woman's service. Standing outside and looking through window was a comfortable as I felt that night, however throughout my trip i experienced temples from the inside frequently.

As I perched outside watching the services inside I noticed that the floor was still plain dirt but the woman were kneeling never the less, in formation toward the front of the pagoda. A teacher, leader or Buddhist nun, I'm not certain, was at the head of the group.

Upon seeing me at the window taking pictures the teacher ordered the students to turn 90 degrees toward me and kneel so I could take a picture with them facing me. As I write this today, unbelievable is the word passing through my mind. Words can't describe the experience that I had at this village. My most memorable in Myanmar.

After a few pictures of the full moon rising over the plains of east Bagan, my friend motorbiked me through the dark Bagan night as I reflected with awe. Before long we back in Nybay Village Bagan and the Eden Guest House, where I entered my room collecting my thoughts, sat down on my bed and went off into a deep sleep.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Next time on Different Perspectives, join me as I experience my second and third encounter with cobra. We'll continue our travels through the dry zone of Myanmar visiting the people, and temples in the heart of the worlds Buddhist culture Bagan, Myanmar.

We hope you will join us. Until then

"Those who accept that we all die someday settle their quarrels"
Dhammapada
Peace

Edward
Different Perspectives

Written by Edward Mangan c2008 (Mount Po pa excerpts from Wikipedia)*

Again Welcome to our news letter. As is common with our objective the following articles are of interest in upholding the purpose of our newsletter to offer a different perspective.




Myanmar Taunggyi chosen as one of 10 best ASEAN environmental conservation cities

Taunggyi, a cold and hilly city lying 1.37 kilometers above sea-level, stands as the fourth biggest city of Myanmar with a population of 200,000.

YANGON, Oct. 21 (Xinhua) -- Myanmar's Taunggyi, the capital of Shan state, has been chosen as one of the 10 best natural environmental conservation cities in the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nation (ASEAN), the local Weekly Eleven news journal reported Tuesday.

It was so awarded at a ceremony held recently in Vietnam to encourage undertakings in environmental conservation in the region in the best way with upgraded level.

The city is not only a commercial center for Shan state but also a place where ethnic minorities inhabit and travel.

The Inlay Lake, located near Taunggyi, is known as one of Myanmar's famous tourist sites attracting large number of world travelers.

Meanwhile, Myanmar is making efforts to extend its environmental conservation area up to 10 percent of the total of the country as part of its long-term plan of promoting eco-tourism.

Myanmar's present environmental conservation area remains at 4.7 percent that is 31,961 square-kilometers covered by 38 environmental conservation regions.

Of them, there set up 14 eco-tourism based camps mainly known as Hlawga Wildlife park, Yangon Zoological Garden, Inlay Lake Sanctuary, Mount Popa Park, Pyin Oo Lwin National Kandawgyi Garden, Khakaborazi National Park and Myainghewun Elephant Camp.

Of these eco-tourism facilities, the Khakaborazi National Park, located in Kachin state, northernmost part of the country, was highlighted as a significant one which will soon emerge as the first ever world heritage of Myanmar.

In 1998, Myanmar designated the area of Mount Khakaborazi as the national park to focus on conservation of environment and bio-diversities of eastern area of Himalayan mountain ranges as well as to safeguard the areas where Myanmar's mighty Ayeyawaddy River originates.

The park, covered an area of 3,811 square kilometers and with an altitude of between 900 meters and 5.7 kilometers, has a temperature of between 15 degree Celsius in maximum and -3 degree Celsius in minimum.

Visitors may enjoy scenic beauty of over 3,000 meters high snow-capped mountain ranges.

Rich in natural resources including wildlife and rare species of flora and fauna that attracts tourists, Myanmar is encouraging entrepreneurs to promote eco-tourism industry at the environmental conservation regions to earn income for the state.

According to official statistics, tourist arrivals in Myanmar in the fiscal year 2007-08 which ended in March, totaled 288,776 with 51,872 more registered in the first quarter of 2008-09.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Burma reduces security at Suu Kyi's compound

Updated October 26, 2008 19:17:48

Authorities in Burma have removed barbed wire barriers and reduced security around the Rangoon home of detained democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

An official from her party says barricades and checkpoints preventing people from going near her house have been removed.

However the gate to her compound remains closed.

Aung San Suu Kyi has been under detention for 13 of the past 19 years, and is only allowed sporadic visits from her doctor and lawyer.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Myanmar appeals for more donations for schools in cyclone-hit region



www.chinaview.cn 2008-10-23 20:42:06



YANGON, Oct. 23 (Xinhua) -- The Myanmar education authorities have appealed for more donations to rebuild remaining basic education schools in the cyclone-hard-hit Ayeyawaddy delta region, saying that 849 such schools are still in need of fund for the move.

According to the Department of Basic Education-1 under the Ministry of Education Thursday, out of a total of 1,785 primary, middle and high schools destroyed in the cyclone that hit the region early last May, 694 have been or are being repaired, leaving 1,091 schools yet to be done for reopening.

Of the 1,091 schools, 242 have been set for repair with the use of a special supplementary state fund allotted for the present fiscal year and funds donated by private donors and foreign organizations in view of the pressing need for continued pursuit of education by children in the disaster-ravaged region, the sources said.

The Ayeyawaddy delta region comprises seven townships namely, Ngaputaw, Mawlamyinegyun, Laputta, Phyapon, Kyaiklat, Dedaye and Bogalay.

Meanwhile, Myanmar has targeted to build up to 60,000 low-cost houses for homeless cyclone victims in Ayeyawaddy and Yangon divisions hit by the storm.

The low-cost housing projects have been implemented by 69 private companies since June under the country's rehabilitation program and so far, 7,539 of such houses have been donated by the government and well-wishers, according to the Ministry of Social Welfare, Relief and Resettlement.

During the storm, more than 370,000 houses in the seven townships in Ayeyawaddy division and 40 townships in Yangon division were destroyed, the sources disclosed.

In the latest development, some storm-hard-hit areas in Myanmar's Ayeyawaddy division including Dedaye and Laputta are in quick recovery with most of the ravaged houses being already rebuilt, according to recent official media report.

Deadly cyclone Nargis, which occurred over the Bay of Bengal, hit five divisions and states -- Ayeyawaddy, Yangon, Bago, Mon and Kayin on last May 2 and 3, of which Ayeyawaddy and Yangon inflicted the heaviest casualties and massive infrastructure damage.

The storm has killed 84,537 people and left 53,836 missing and 19,359 injured, according to official death toll.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Pictures, Text and Journal copyright 2008 Different Perspectives


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb