Bagan Different Perspectives Newsletter July 19, 2008


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Mandalay Region » Bagan
July 19th 2008
Published: December 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Bagan to Kalaw, Myanmar


This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
Dear Patrons:

Welcome to our news letter. The Staff at Different Perspectives try to bring a clearer picture of current events effecting China and Asia . Although we believe the international media driven primarily by western world's interests, is bringing the public events as they happen, we at Different Perspectives are independent and non biased without an agenda for prestige or monetary profit. We simply feel the western world may be somewhat isolated from news that is local to our office here in Beijing, China .

Thank you
Different Perspectives Staff
Edward


This News letter is a series of edited copyrighted published articles as well as essays on the conditions in South East Asia countries from an eyewitness perspective.



Saturday July 19, 2008
Eden Guest House
Bagan, Myanmar

Today Da Da Cris and Myself will visit Mang soe's village about 3 km outside Bagan. This is the full moon festival holiday, a common Buddhist tradition. After breakfast we road out to the village in a shared taxi arranged by Mang soe.

Reaching the village we were welcomed by a festive group of families, monks and nuns. The village a group of roof thatched houses many built up off the ground a few feet, open to the air few with exterior walls. We followed
Mang soe through the dry village with eyes wide open at the families sitting and laying on the floors of the houses many sharing food with each other and relaxing in the heat of the day. Most staring at us as we were of them. Very little activity going on although many people, until we got to the temple where the full moon holiday prayers and services were being held. The peacefulness of the people radiating from a contentment to just sit with themselves and enjoy each other. Very little individual activities like reading, games, etc. Just sitting eating, talking and what seemed like the general environment of contemplation.

We entered the temple anxious to catch the people praying and asking Mang soe if we had missed the praying session. We didn't. I wondered why Mang soe avoided answering the question, and told us to just be patient. We were later told that the prayer sessions continue throughout the day and into the early evening.

The temple was about the size of a large restaurant dining room, with no furniture but thin carpets on the floor for people to sit or kneel on. The room was nearly full with about 50 worshipers scattered across the floor and the lead monk sitting in a chair with a small table in front of him for his books facing his congregation. The monk delivering the Buddhist scripture was Mang Soe's brother.

We sat on the floor in the back of the room as the congregation followed the monks instruction in praying. Gazing across the room we watched a people pray in a way and language so foreign us that we were left in a trance of awe.

After awhile the monk introduced us to the congregation and asked them to allow us to take pictures. At that point Cris walked to the front of the room and stated snapping pictures of the congregation and the monk as they more than willingly with a welcome smile, sat on the floor and posed for pictures. Da Da and I took pictures and video from the other side of the room while drinking tea and eating full moon bread. The red carpet treatment as usual we are all in heaven being treated with the utmost respect and compassion.

As evening approached it was time to finish up with some pictures together with Mang Soe's brother and a stop not far in a room where Mang Soe's elderly mother was resting. Mang soe had mentioned to us that his mother was not well. We entered a thatched roof shelter, walked across the wooden floor to the door of the room where his mother was resting. Peeking around the corner of the door Mang soe called for his mother as she awoke from an afternoon nap. Somewhat "dazed" to see people in her room, even white people she managed a small smile as she got up from her rest. His mother and he sitting on the side of the bed Mang Soe introduced us as we stood in the doorway. Few words proceeded so we snapped a few pictures turned away in our typical awe and slowly walked back outside. Looking up I noticed Mang Soe's mother leaning against the side of the front door seemingly saying goodbye, but with no hand gestures or sounds coming from her lips. She just stared at us as we walk away toward our waiting taxi.

An amazing experience to spend the afternoon in a village and village temple during a Buddhist holiday on the outskirts of Bagan.

Sunday July 20, 2008
Eden Guest House
Bagan Myanamar 4am.

I rolled out of bed early to catch the 5am bus to Kalaw. This morning will be my last morning in Bagan. An amazing place, wonderful people, incredible culture, and history. i was not disappointed with my 9 day stay in Bagan. Mang Soe's friendship, the opportunity to spend with DaDa and Cris and the overall of interaction with Bagan people has truly been an overwhelming experience.

Mang Soe got up at 3:30 am to make us breakfast and see us off. I will truly miss him. We stood outside in the warm early dawn street waiting with DaDa and Mang soe. Before long Cris and I boarded the local bus for our ride east through the outskirts of South Mandalay and into the mountains of the Shane State. Only a ride of 500 km it took us 10 hours as we winded our way through mountain roads that were barely wide enough for one vehicle and most in disrepair even unpaved and somewhat risky to drive on.

Beautiful scenery of steep green mountains with smoke coming from hidden pockets of home made charcoal used for fertilizer. Some areas of the mountain the local farmers desperate to farm the smallest hectare tillable. After an afternoon of site seeing from a bus filled with locals, their pets and farm animals, we approached our destination of Kalaw, Myanmar. A small town of maybe 5000 people situated of a plateau at an elevation of about 500 meters. Mountains in all directions the bus left us off on busy street in front of a hotel about 3 in the afternoon. After the bus attendant unloaded our packs from the back of the bus we collected them and regrouped on the steps of the hotel for a bit. Checking my guide book for our actual hotel we quickly set off packs on our backs through the streets of Kalaw for our hotel. After a few inspections we decided on the Eastern Paradise Hotel, got settled in and made our way to our guide service restaurant for dinner and an orientation, to our three day trek to Inlay Lake.

While we were in Bagan DaDa had highly recommended Sam's Family Restaurant and Guide Service. Our objective in coming to Kalaw was to embark on a trek that would take us through the Shane State and 50 km east to our next destination of Inlay Lake. We met with Sam and our guide Khi to hash over the logistics and our departure schedule. We were to meet Kyi back here at 8:30 in the morning, and depart directly after. After a lengthy discussion we wet our pallets with some home cooking from Sams kitchen.

The next morning we met Khi and Sam at the restaurant. Sam had arranged to have our packs ferried by taxi through the mountains and held waiting for us at a guest house in Inlay Lake. I took the minimum necessities of an extra t-shirt, rain jacket, camera, eye wear and tooth brush in my fanny pack. After a small delay organizing my water supply we were off first west across a Kalaw neighborhood
and then east into rolling foot hills to the mountains beyond. About 30 minutes later we stopped very briefly at Kyi's house so he could check in with his family before leaving on what would be 4 day journey for him including the return to Kalaw.

The first part of the trek was through rolling hills, partial forests and some open space. Almost all of the hike we were walking on this soft red clay, which was easy on the feet. Although it was hot the increase in altitude brought a mild breeze and some relief. Kyi carried food for Cris and I and my water which helped, since I had trouble with my water supply.

After a very moderate trek we stopped for lunch at the "Nepali Look Out". About 1000 m high overlooking mountain rice plantations and beautiful scenery. Kyi made us chapati and vegetables. We also had tea. This mountain top residence was home to a family of 2 and at least 5 or 6 crops growing including peach trees. A paradise in the hilltops of Myanmar.

On into the afternoon and through mountain rice crops, rice that is literally grown on the mountain sides, Kyi pointed across the valley at a row of 12 farmers leaning into the steep mountain picking and planting rice as they moved up the mountain face.

We approached our village camp about 5pm. A small village of about 50 people on the slope of a heavily wooded hill above railroad tracks. No electricity or running water and we were to sleep on the floor. We found our way inside Kyi's
friends house and settled as best we could knowing that it would be dark in a few hours and that drinking water would be scarce and the floor didn't look to comfortable.

Before long the family arrived home from working in the fields. First the younger teenage daughter and her mother, then the father followed a few minutes later. Getting darker now another older teenage daughter arrived from school along with her 10 year old brother. The main room to the house was big enough for all of us to find some floor space to sleep on. In one corner was the small dining table where Cris and I were to eat, the family would eat in the next room with Kyi. I asked if they were going to join us for dinner and the answer was "no they will eat alone in the other room", I didn't ask why, they didn't want to eat with us. On the adjacent wall across the room was a Buddhist shrine where the family prayed. On the other side of the room was the door to the kitchen. On the floor in the kitchen was a concrete and rock wood fueled camp fire to cook dinner on. Smoke filled the room as the mother cooked rice, soup, vegetables and I think sheep (mutton) meat. The younger daughter sat nearby cutting vegetables, as they all talked with Kyi in Burmese. Kyi had not seen his friends since the last time he guided through here seven months ago. It was a festive reunion. Kyi helped cook the food for us that he had carried with him.

In the meantime the father was digging out blankets, pillows and bamboo mats and was arranging them on the floor for us to sleep on. From the moment the family arrived from the fields with a smile on their faces, we were constantly asked if we needed anything. The father, daughters and son were the nicest, most compassionate people I had ever met. Open and interactive with us were given
the red carpet treatment. The father had good enough English to mention that
he was making my bed especially for me. I was moved.

As Kyi and the mother and daughter cooked dinner in the dark of the kitchen, Cris and I waited at the dining table as the father slowly brought the small bowls
of food to our table. In the meantime the older daughter was in the other room studying and praying out loud. We were in the home of a family from the Danu tribe.

Curiously sampling the food in front of us, the mother came out of the kitchen, sat crossed legged in front of the shrine and started praying by candle light. It was incredible. We ate silently reflecting every moment as the family and Kyi ate in the kitchen on the floor with the door closed.

After dinner it wasn't long before I made my way to the water supply up the hill from the house to brush my teeth and slap from fresh water on my face. Coming back into the candle lit house I laid down on my bamboo mattress pad with blankets and a small pillow. The candles were blown out shortly after.

In the morning we arose about 7:30. The father served us fruit and rice, and hot water, to drink. Next to me older daughter and son were getting ready for school applying tanaka to their faces. Tanaka is ground from a wood using a grinding stone and mixed with a little water to make past that is applied to the face for cosmetics and sun block.

I felt great that morning. I used the hole in the floor outhouse for the first time ever. It was difficult but the relief was as good as any western toilet.

I clicked some wonderful pictures of the family as we headed out of the village along the railroad tracks. A beautiful morning in the green hills of the Myanmar
the sun shining brightly, we trekked down the side of the orange clay mountainside away from the village to seek out our next village stop about 25 km further east. An amazing overnight in the home of Myanmar Danu tribe family.

Next time on Different Perspectives we'll continue our trek through the agricultural center of Myanmar in the Shan State and our chance to meet the Pa-o tribe people.

We hope you will join us. Until then

"Those who accept that we all die someday settle their quarrels"
Dhammapada
Peace

Edward
Different Perspectives

Written by Edward Manganc2008
_______________________________________________________________________

Again Welcome to our news letter. As is common with our objective the following articles are of interest in upholding the purpose of this newsletter to offer a different perspective.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Italics text by Different Perspectives


Lankan monk takes lead to help Myanmar's cyclone hit

MYANMAR: A new modern village is to arise from the destruction wrought by cyclone Nargis, thanks to the generosity of Buddhist well-wishers coordinated by a religious advisor from Sri Lanka.

The first phase of the project, comprising 400 homes, is due to be inaugurated by the Sri Lankan embassy in Yangon in December, in Yangon Division.

"We've obtained permission to set up a village from the Government, which has already granted 180 acres of land between Kamapar village and Naung Gue village in Kungyangon township," Ven. Dr. Bodagama Chandima Thera, an international religious and cultural adviser to President Mahinda Rajapaksa told The Myanmar Times last month.

Each house will cost US$1250 to build, for a total construction cost for the 400 homes of $500,000. This is exclusive of the cost of future roads and other buildings such as a clinic, Ven. Dr Chandima Thera said.

The village is similar in design to a model village in Hambantota, which was built after the destruction caused by the 2004 tsunami.

"We have not named the village yet. We will build not only houses but also roads, schools, a mini-clinic, a community hall, a library, a computer centre, a stadium, gardens and an administration office in the village," said Ven. Dr Chandima Thera.

"This is the third time I have come here to help people affected by Cyclone Nargis. Once I heard the tragic news of the cyclone, I came here first in June at the request of our President to negotiate with the Myanmar authorities, and to find out what was happening in detail," he said.

He and his followers decided to assist people in Yangon and its environs affected by cyclone, especially in Kungyangon.

Chang Ho Chin, Deputy Secretary General of the Theravada Samadhi Education Association, said Dr. Bodagama Chandima Thera and his supporters from Sri Lanka, Singapore, Taiwan and other Asian countries had contributed $225,000 worth of building materials, food, clothing and medicine in August, and $500,000 in October.

"So far, we have contributed more than $720,000 worth of goods in kind to cyclone victims," she said.

"We, Sri Lanka and Myanmar, have had a long traditional relationship in terms of culture and religion since time immemorial. Most Myanmars are Buddhists, and we share the same religion," said Dr. Bodagama Chandima Thera.

He said people in the affected area had no money or homes but they had loving kindness because of Buddhism.

"So we came here to help, and we continue to help," he said.

___________________________________________________________________________________________


Govt slams jailing of Myanmar activists

10 hours ago

LONDON (AFP) — The government condemned Tuesday jail sentences handed down in Myanmar on a group of activists arrested during anti-junta protests last year.

Junior foreign minister Bill Rammell said he was "deeply concerned to learn that the Burmese regime has sentenced fourteen members of the '1988 student group' to 65 year terms."

"Those detained have done nothing other than exercise their right to express themselves and have at all times underlined their willingness to work with others for a better Burma," he said in a statement.

"This once again underlines the need for a genuine and inclusive political process. I therefore reiterate the recent call by the Council of the European Union for the lifting of restrictions placed on political parties and the early release of those in detention, including Aung San Suu Kyi.

"There can be nothing approaching free elections until these steps are taken."

Britain, Myanmar's colonial power until 1948,

___________________________________________________________________________________________




November 11, 2008 -- Updated 1151 GMT (1951 HKT)

Myanmar blogger jailed for 20 years

YANGON, Myanmar (CNN) -- Courts in Myanmar have sentenced a blogger, a poet and several dissidents to several years in jail for anti-regime activities, a court official told CNN Tuesday.


Young people at an Internet cafe in Myanmar.


The verdicts were announced Monday and Tuesday, the court official said.

Blogger Nay Phone Latt was sentenced to more than 20 years in jail for his illegal Internet activities, the court official said.

The blogger was a "major source of information for the outside world" when the military junta used force last year to suppress anti-government demonstrations, said The Irrawaddy, an online newspaper published by exiles from Myanmar, which is also known as Burma.

The government exercises strict controls over media outlets in the southeast Asian country. Dissidents often turn to the Internet to disseminate information.

In the second case, poet Saw Wai received a two-year jail sentence for a poem he wrote for Valentine's Day that contained a veiled jab at the junta's leading figure, Senior Gen. Than Shwe.

The first words of each line in the eight-line poem, "February the Fourteenth" spelled out the message: "Senior General Than Shwe is crazy with power."

On Tuesday, the government handed down prison sentences to about a dozen members of a pro-democracy group known as the '88 Generation Students.

Irrawaddy said the members were each sentenced to 65 years in jail, but CNN could not independently confirm the figure.

Sounds like Guantanamo Bay. Check out the video at this link. Notice that the prisoners identity is shown but not the identity of the US Government Interrogator. What is the interrogator afraid of?

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2008/07/15/bts.khdar.gitmo.cnn?iref=videosearch
Different Perspectives all rights reserved c2008



Advertisement



Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1217s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb