Cheri monastery


Advertisement
Bhutan's flag
Asia » Bhutan
October 21st 2012
Published: October 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today we hiked up typo Chedi Monastery. And, I do mean up...it was about a forty minute trek, up,up,up. The monastery is usually empty cause the monks there are usually on retreat. The go to Chedi after completing their four year monk training program. The retreat is three years,three monthd, three days and three hours...a long meditation.once complete they can take on monk,duties or they can go for further training, sort of like grad school. The further training is five years, and once complete,they can do things the other monks canmt. Like work towards enlightenment, e.g. Reincarnation......anyway, when we got to the top there were lots of monks around. Turns out it was a special four day ceremony, not sure just what for...there are a Lot odd ceremonies and celebrations. Anyway, we went into one of the temple rooms to meditate, and it was all set up for the monks..saw the musical horns and drums, and their special robes and everything. There was a monk in there chanting, which was very nice, and the he started to p,say the drum and cymbal. Amazing to see and hear. Took a couple of photos at the top, and will attach one, though it really does not give you much of an ideas of the beauty of the place.



Off tomorrow, early.it will take,us 3 to 4 hours to go 78 kilometres...the road is bad, we were told. No kidding...over a pass which is almost 10,000 ft. If it is clear, we will be able to see most of the eastern Himalayian range.

Probably no Internet for the next five or six days, so do not fret.

Advertisement



21st October 2012

I can't imagine doing all that hiking up hill in that altitude!
24th October 2012

Yeah, it is rough. The last day there isa hike up to eagle's nest monastery,and it is 2.5 hours up,up, up...will de IDE later if I am going to do it, but then again, I a,ready know the answer...of course I will try.
21st October 2012

Absolutely awesome, Deborah! What an experience! Enjoy the peace! Thanks for sharing! Nancy
22nd October 2012

This is the part I'm looking forward to
Can't wait to hear more about the yoga, the monasteries and the meditations. Have a great 6 days out of contact Sue

Tot: 0.258s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0767s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb