From Thimpu


Advertisement
Bhutan's flag
Asia » Bhutan
October 20th 2012
Published: October 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

We are now in Thimpu. The altitude is 2,250 meters, or 8,979 feet. By comparison, the Summit of Tremblant is 2,871 feet, so we are high, high, high. o.k. walking, but climbing stairs is a challenge. getting better though. We have a half day hike tomorroe morming to a monastery, so,it should be interesting. Have managed to pick up a cold. think iit is from an outside yoga class..it was freeziPapp

Not sure what to tell you, we have seen so many things and had so many adventures. This morning we went to a dzong where half is the king's offices and the other an astonishpop ply beautiful temple. The current king was crowned in his temple, anfpd his throne is therealong with thrones for his father, the chief abbot, and very nice seating for the five high abbots. The decoration is truly lovely, and the atmosbuzzes is just so charged. I could not believe what a profound, gut level reaction I had to the place. No photos are allowed in the temples in Bhutan, so I can"t show it to you, unfortunately. I can sho you the courtyard.

We then went to a temple where peoplcome me to,have their children named. There is a jar of boy names and a jar of girl names and you pick out one, and that is It. We were there when a young couple came in with their baby. The whole thing took a out two minutes. The priest looked rather bored, but the parents were clearly moved, and the baby was adorable. The jars are nothing fancy..they look like empty peanut butter jars.



Walso so went to the painting school, ut they were not in class, but we did see them. Performing some sort of dance show.

Also went to the late king's christen, which is a big statue kiniPod thing where his ashes are buried. The high s bot was visiting, so the place was just Mobbed. Great faces, but I was reluctant to photograph people. hundreds walking around the christen with their prayer wheels.

Food is not great at this hotel so this evenfour four of us went out for pizza..gpix pizza, and as we head away from Thimpu there will to be such options available.

One more night in Thimpu and then we head I land, and imhacpve been Gould there will not be wifi, and probavly not Internet, so will report on the hike tomorrow, and their will be awhile before another blog. Perhwillow rite write them when Canaan ( the days are very, very busy) and then post when wifi is available.

History and legend are one here, as are religion and state. As an e a p,e, we asked the guide what would happening if the king had only daughts would they have a queen. He told us that would not happen because when the king got married everyone in the country prayed for him and his wife, and they all prayed for,them again on their first anniversary. This is an educated man...and he stated this as fact. He aLos assured us that we did not have to see the high abbot to gain merit, is was enough to hear his voice through the loud speaker.



Will attach a photo of prayer wheels from the beautiful dzong and a photo of some of the women from the ceremony at the chorten.

Photos won't upload....sorry. Will try again tomorrow...

More later

Advertisement



21st October 2012

Hello from St. Mary's Home
Hi, Deborah: What a marvelous opportunity this trip is! I'm enjoying your progress! ENJOY EVERY MOMENT! Nancy

Tot: 0.304s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb