More from Paro


Advertisement
Bhutan's flag
Asia » Bhutan
October 18th 2012
Published: October 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we visited the oldest temple in Bhutan. It was built in the 7th century. The grounds and surroundings were gorgeous.....I will run out of words to describe the stunning scenery of Bhutan, so, from now on, just assume the mountains are magnificent and I will let you know if anything changes....

the interior of the temple was very interesting. Photography is forbidden inside any temple in Bhutan, so can't show you. The space is small, and there are a number of statues and offering areas. You make offerings if so etching good is happening-a birthday, marriage, etc. You also make offering if you have been or think you may be naughty, as the offering can help to take away your sins. And, of corse, you make offering if something bad happens or may happen.Different statues are for different kinds of prayers. We learnt how to properly enter the temple. You put your hands above your head, with your thumbs tucked in, then bring your hands to your forehead

(Your thought centre) then to your sternum (your heart centre), then you kneel on the floor and touch your forehead to the floor. You do this three times, in your socks, cause you cannot wear shoes in the temple. Some folks go beyond and do the posture 108 times. The floors are wood, worn absolutely smooth, and in one spot there are two depressions go 4 or 5 inches. this is the favourite spot to stand when making your abeyance. Will try to attach a photo of the grounds.

Then on to an old fortress. The government has cleverly converted the fortresses into space for government administration and religious uses..the bureaucrats get half and the monks half. Remarkably beautiful architecture. Will try to attach a photo.

Then into Pato town for lunch. The food is not horrid and not wonderful.They are. Trying to cook for westerners, and it comes out Avery bland, but salt helps and the veggies are familiar- cauliflower, spinach, potatoes, soe chicken. Only fruit so far is apples and bananas, but they are good. Meals are buffet, which is good...you can take a teeny bit and then go back for more if you don't hate it. No tummy troubles so far, but don't want to jinx it...



Yoga class yesterday afternoon outside, looking at the mountains. Lovely, but when the went started to set, it was freezing, and I do not like being cold. So far days are sunny and very comfortable with a shirt and no jacket. Evenings are frigid,, with a big duvet for sleeping.



Lots more to tell you...the circle of life and the gross happiness index are so interesting, but will save them GeForce another time...this is getting long, and the keyboard is so teeny.



Love hearing from you, and it a joy to share this journey with you.



Sorry photos will not upload..think Internet is too slow here..will try to upload photos deom Thimpu.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.24s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb