Disney Sweatshops


Advertisement
Bangladesh's flag
Asia » Bangladesh
April 30th 2014
Published: May 1st 2014
Edit Blog Post

I decided to look up Disney and if they had sweatshops. Turns out they do and it is in Bangladesh, China, and Haiti. Before I looked into websites, I decided to look at the pictures, and I wanted to see they type of people who work in these sweatshops. In the picture, I only saw women working and putting the toys together. When I researched I found out that the workers are paid less than $.50 an hour. In China the average that they are paid is $. 33-41 an hour and the youngest works are 14 up to adults. In Bangladesh workers are paid 5 cents an hour when Pooh shirts sell for $17.99. The workers are forced to work 14-hour days, seven days a week. Workers are abused/ beaten if they do not meet quotas. And speaking in the factory is prohibited. In Haiti workers earn 30 cents an hour, and employs workers under the legal age. The sweatshops in China are terrible workers are cheated of their overtime pay if they decide to work overtime, workers do not receive health insurance or pension. In factories there are four to five accidents a week, and many people lost their limbs. Instead of doing something about the machines, the factory just hires new workers, which does not fix the problem of the bad machines and accidents simply continue. There is nothing that can be done because if sweatshops were in America then Americans will want more money for their work. for businesses and Disney it is easier to make people work for low wages and make a big profit instead of making people work on high wages and make a smaller profit.




Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb