Cyclone SIDR


Advertisement
Bangladesh's flag
Asia » Bangladesh
December 21st 2007
Published: December 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

As many of you heard, Bangladesh weathered a cyclone (Sidr) November 15, 2007. Chittagong is situated just to the east of the cyclone and received some light wind and rain that evening. Many of the villages were hit pretty badly and many people and livestock were killed. Many crops were scheduled to be harvested just a couple of days after Sidr hit were also destroyed. The cook in my household called home to his village the morning after the storm and although no one there was killed, all the buildings were destroyed. He left early this year for his village with his wife and two small children in an attempt to start repairing the damage to a small building on his plot of land there.

WCA Student Philanthropist
Students at William Carey Academy are already aware of the economic repercussions of Cyclone Sidr. One 11th grade girl got a couple of her peers to help raise money and hand out food to families whose children attend William Carey Academy’s free school. It happened to be Thanksgiving Day when I was summoned to take photos of the kids and their families lined up to receive a bag of rice and lintels, the staple foods of Bangladesh.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb