Day 6 - Istalif, Shomali Plain, Hindu Kush Mountains


Advertisement
Afghanistan's flag
Asia » Afghanistan » East » Kabul
March 10th 2006
Published: March 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Spiritual healer at Ishan shrineSpiritual healer at Ishan shrineSpiritual healer at Ishan shrine

He prayed for all of us and for peace.
Today is Friday, the Sabbath. We begin our day in the northern part of Kabul, where the sun is up, the dust is down, and it is warming up. As we travel north, up through the Shomali Plain, we witness additional evidence of decades of war - first, the Russians invaded along this route, so both the mujahedeen and Russians laid anti-personnel and anti-tank mines that remain today; then, the Taliban burned the remaining vineyards and orchards and forcibly resettled those who had remained in the area, due to their sympathies with the Northern Alliance. We pass many large graveyards in which the green flags of those who died as martyrs are prominently flown.

It is like a different world from Kabul. There are green fields of grass and rice. Almond, apricot, and cherry trees are beginning to bloom. In the distance, the snow-capped mountains of the Hindu Kush beckon.

Just outside of the village is the ruins of a guest house owned by the former leader of the Northern Aliiance, Ahmed Shah Massoud, who was assassinated by Taliban posing as journalists on September 9, 2001 - only two days before the attacks of 9/11 in the U.S. There are still
Hindu Kush mountainsHindu Kush mountainsHindu Kush mountains

I got a bit obsessed taking pictures of the snow-capped mountains today.
soldiers guarding the bombed-out guest house; they invited us up to the terrace for tea and pictures.

The village was well-known in the past as being a haven for artisans, particularly potters. We visited the pottery of Abduhl Wahkeel, the Ishan shrine , and the bazaar. The village was featured in a recent NPR segment on rebuilding Afghanistan.

The thing that I liked the most about this trip is that our guides (aka our "minders" or "daddies") seemed to be relaxed, and they let us walk about without supervision or worry. This was to change, however, because once we returned to Kabul, we learned of the deaths of 4 American soldiers, two attempted assassinations, and the kidnapping (and subsequent killing) of four Macedonian/Albanian soldiers. Additionally, when we returned to Kabul that afternoon, one of the vans in our group had an unpleasant experience when their van was surrounded by a crowd and rocked while in the area of the Shah's tomb in Kabul, where they went to see kiteflying; we had tried to get there also, but Afghan soldiers wouldn't let us in the area because of heightened security and threats that had been made against Westerners that day (unbeknownst to us).
Hindu Kush mountains 2Hindu Kush mountains 2Hindu Kush mountains 2

I got a bit obsessed taking pictures of the snow-capped mountains today.
Nothing like reality to ruin what was a perfect day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Road to IstalifRoad to Istalif
Road to Istalif

The few women that we saw all were in burkas.
Fared with ammo clipFared with ammo clip
Fared with ammo clip

You could find stuff like this just laying around in Istalif and the Shamali Plains region.
Poor donkey!Poor donkey!
Poor donkey!

Istalif bazaar.
Guard dog, IstalifGuard dog, Istalif
Guard dog, Istalif

Yes, the dog is a live one.
Tying the feedbag onTying the feedbag on
Tying the feedbag on

I had no idea what this was about until I got home and my husband explained it to me - there is feed in the bottom of the bag, and when the donkey wants to eat, he lowers his head, the bag rests on the ground, and he eats. I had thought maybe the donkey was sick and its owner tied a barf bag to it...LOL
Path to Ishan shrine and Istalif potteryPath to Ishan shrine and Istalif pottery
Path to Ishan shrine and Istalif pottery

Very pretty. Notice another woman in blue burka, begging. There are many widows from the wars in this area.
Woman beggingWoman begging
Woman begging

In blue burka, on path to shrine.
Danger!  Peligro!  Can't touch this!Danger!  Peligro!  Can't touch this!
Danger! Peligro! Can't touch this!

We saw several signs depicting mines, mortars, grendades, and unexploded ordinance that were commonly found in the area.
Photo op!Photo op!
Photo op!

The people in Istalif were very friendly and many asked to have their picture taken. They were also savvy to the digital camera technology and wanted to see the photos after they were taken. Here is Cordelia, one of my roommates, showing a group their photo.
Fans and friendsFans and friends
Fans and friends

We made many on this trip!
Relaxed guidesRelaxed guides
Relaxed guides

Fared and Najib, looking relaxed today.
Curious kidsCurious kids
Curious kids

Checking us out.


24th September 2006

Great blog!
I'm taking Persian classes and I'd really like to go to Afghanistan someday. Love your pictures!
2nd November 2006

ditto
Great adventure and photos...hope the rest of your journey was peaceful
2nd December 2006

Incredible cultural experience!!!
Your photos were incredibly enlightening. I especially enjoyed your captions. I have done a lot of traveling worldwide. I feel like I could take on just about any place. But I would have to admit, this would be a real challenge. I'll have to think about it!!!

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb