Working and Chilling at WAIS


Advertisement
Antarctica
January 11th 2006
Published: January 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

MARVIN the Robot in AntarcticaMARVIN the Robot in AntarcticaMARVIN the Robot in Antarctica

Marvin II successfully operated autonomously in Antarctica. Unfortunately, the radar could not handle the temperatures. Therefore, Marvin was on the first plane out in order to ensure a safe return flight home.
On December 30th, our team departed for the West Antarctic Ice Sheet (WAIS) Divide Camp, the flight only took a few hours. We traveled by a LC-130 Hercules, operated by the Air National Guard. The Herc was equipped with skis, but unfortunately lacking the Jet Assisted Takeoff (JATO) rockets that were prominent on Hercs in Greenland. Upon arrival, we were greeted by the other members of our research group; they had traveled ahead to work on setup.

If you have ever had the experience to visit a remote camp in the middle of an ice sheet, then you pretty much would know exactly what WAIS was like. While the amenities, personality, people, and food may be different, the scenery is not. White snow and ice as far as the eye can see. You may see a snow mobile off in the distance, but often the horizon meets the distant surface with little depth available to perceive.

The staff members at WAIS camp were all very cool. They helped our team out a lot over the past two weeks. The three cooks were excellent and kept is more than well fed with anything seldom low fat or low carb. We
GPS Base Station and Pisten BullyGPS Base Station and Pisten BullyGPS Base Station and Pisten Bully

Our Topcon Base Station was set up outside of our tent so that we could keep the data logger inside and warm. At night, we parked the Pisten Bully tracked vehicle behind the tent so that data downloads can be performed.
were blessed to have a shower available, but only outhouses for toilets. Well, that and the infamous Pee Pole. Our team lodged in a Jamesway, which is a structure that is not quite a tent, but not quite a building. It has metal ribs that support a Canvas roof. Unlike Weatherports, which were common at the North GRIP camp in Greenland, these Jamesways all have Preways, kerosene fueled heaters.

I was quite despondent when I learned that the PRISM robot, MARVIN, was being completely descoped from the project. The radar required a warmer climate than could be provided outside on the rover, even with portable heaters. Therefore, a Pisten Bully tracked vehicle was used instead. We had planned to use the robot daily and had not created an experimental plan. Therefore, MARVIN was shipped out only a few days after we arrived.

Without a robot, I became the odd jobs guy. I dug snow pits and assisted in their analysis. I processed Synthetic Aperture Radar data. I also worked nightly until about 5am backing up all data onto redundant systems. Aside from the pits, I was very busy doing very little. Long hours, but not a lot to
Organized ChaosOrganized ChaosOrganized Chaos

Looking inside the Science Jamesway, you would think that we had no organization skills. In reality, we did, but we just didn't have enough room to make it look decent. When it came time to pack, we had little difficulty finding all the right parts for each of the crates.
do. I was quite tired by the time it came to pack up.

Today, January 11th, 2005, we conclude the major packing tasks. We are scheduled to leave on Friday, but this is highly weather-permitting. Several previous flights into camp have been delayed. Therefore, our team must remain hopeful, but prepared for a delay. If things go to plan, I will return to McMurdo. If weather permits, I am scheduled to leave McMurdo on the 17th. From there, I will spend on night in Christchurch and then travel to Auckland to hang out for a few days and take a train ride down to National Park village on the North Island.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Science JameswayScience Jamesway
Science Jamesway

We worked out of a Jamesway for our research. This is our science Jamesway. It was quite comfortable inside.
The ArchThe Arch
The Arch

In the distance, the Arch stands. It will house the big drill for ice core sampling. Within the next year or so, the drill will be added. For this winter, it will be used for storage.
WAIS International AirportWAIS International Airport
WAIS International Airport

Besides Hercs, a pair of Twin Otters flew in to WAIS. They provided logistical support to scientists passing through.


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb