Journey to the End of the World


Advertisement
Antarctica's flag
Antarctica » Antarctica
December 7th 2013
Published: December 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Antarctica was beyond everything that I dreamed. Our party of 7 - including myself, my parents, a couple of their cronies, my cousin Linda and her 11 year old son Jack - travelled on the expedition icebreaker ship the "M/V Ushuaia" (booked through Antarpply/World Expeditions) from Ushuaia Argentina. Thankfully the infamous Drake Passage was a smooth crossing in both directions. We were unable to enter the Weddell Sea due to the pack ice, so instead did landings in the Antarctic Sound, the Antarctic Peninsula, the Gerlache Strait, and the South Shetland Islands. The various lectures set the scene and built the excitement for what to expect, and every zodiac landing unveiled phenomenal and awe-inspiring wonders. It was nesting season and we saw heaps of penguins - Gentoo´s, Adelie´s and Chinstrap´s. It was fascinating to watch their rituals for nest-building, feeding, and swapping nesting duties. Also saw Weddell and Elephant seals, lots of birdlife, and humpback whales. It´s pretty hard to take a bad photo here. The trip was made extra-special by a wedding of 2 crew members conducted by the Captain.


Additional photos below
Photos: 70, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

zodiac landing partyzodiac landing party
zodiac landing party

getting ready to load into the zodiac for one of our twice daily landings
el pinguinoel pinguino
el pinguino

Jack in his penguin onesie


nest buildingnest building
nest building

Collecting rocks to place on the nests to keep the egg dry






Leucitic penguinLeucitic penguin
Leucitic penguin

My cousin Linda spotted this rare leucitic Adelie penguin, which has a condition of diluted feather pigments (not albino)




Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.084s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb