sea time


Advertisement
Africa
October 25th 2014
Published: October 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Thursday, 20thOctober, Arrived in Cadiz, supposely the oldest in Europe, it was founded in 1100 by the Phoenicians, Spanish silver, Baltick Amber, Spanish silver and tin were traded and the Romans after establishing a naval base there, told stories of its great food and music.. Seafood is the heart of Cadiz’s cuisine.



We have been at sea for 4 days. One of the crew fell and it was thought he had broken his hip, so we had to turn around after one days sail to Madeira, and head back to Portugal. After a seamless handover, we were back on track. It meant missing Madeira and Funchal, and 2 extra days work for me.



There has been lots of exercise (aqua aerobics, zumba and walking), but also too much food and wine!!! As a supernumerary (staff/passenger), I am often called to do things like model clothes and participate in talent shows which has been interesting.



The knitting group is going well, around 20 squares for the blanket, only another 80 to go! We have a good ladies group all working well. I start with lectures in a few days time.



I will now be at sea for 14 days straight without internet so if you need to contact me, send it via sf.purser@star-flyer.net. Again, photos will come at a later date as it is not possible to upload.



Today Santa Cruz in Grand Canaria – named not for the bird, but for the Roman for Dog. Walked around the city and then went on a tour, beautiful gardens, old town, cathederal, and the house of Christopher Columbus. Lots of central courtyards to keep the house cool, and down in the cellar, it was beautiful and cool, with a secret passage out to the sea. After this, we went to the volcano (which hasn’t been active for over 100 years) There is an old hermit who lives in the volcano, and apparently he doesn’t like visitors.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.354s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0622s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb