Rwanda 2011 Day 5


Advertisement
Africa
November 18th 2011
Published: November 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today was a day for several surprisess!
The day started same as the previous days  with waking at 6 am, showering and getting ready for breakfast.  Today's breakfast was the same, except for some reason we had two bananas on our plates.   Breakfast also served us another surprise: we had been having breakfast with some business me from Burundi the past 2 days but this morning there was a different gentleman eating with us.  He was more outgoing than the other two gentlemen had been.  He introduced himself as Leonard, and said that he was a medical doctor.  This started a conversation about what type of work he did, and what we were doing in Gisenyi.   He has a dream of developing a private hospital and health center, similar to what I think the long term goal is at Ndengera.  This was a very interesting meeting.  He also said that he is aborn again Christian, and was glad that God had arrange this meeting.  He gave me his email and cellphone contact information, and then he had to leave to drive back to the eastern  province where he was from.  Who knows where that relationship might go, and how that might help Ndengera achieve its long term goals.

Surprise number 2 happened while we were back in the room packing.  We heard a knock on the door and this voice saying, "Christine?". We thought someone must be mistaking, or perhaps it was housekeeping?  Then the voice said, "Christine, Jim?" and I opened the door and there was Caritas standing there.  She had come to tow early in the morning for on other purpose and was going to ride back to Gisenyi with us.  Caritas' English was better than our driver's but communicat was still difficult.  We drove for 3 hours, mostly in silence, but we listened to Rwandan music and watched the countryside.  It is so interesting to watch what they carry on bicycles.  Bicycles appear to have replaced the use as the workhorse.  These bikes are piled high with corn, potatoes, wood, boxes, crates, baskets - anything that you want to get to the market.

We arrived into Gisenyi and got checked in to our hotel by around 1:30.  Tme for lunch at the hotel restaurant: Croque Monsieur, and Croque Madame with Fanta soda. They have Fanta fiesta which OSA grape flavored soda I don't think we have in the US.   Lunch took quite some time, evidently they were out of ham, which is part of the sandwiches we ordered so after a long wait we got grilled cheese sandwiches.  
After lunch Caritas picked us up and gave us a quick tour of Gisenyi by car, and then we went to Simons church for a concert.

Surprise number 3 was that Simon was out of town, "far away".  I had thought I was going to be taking supplies to the clinic this afternoon, and when I had spoken with Simon earlier in the week, he wanted to get the controller for the well pump on Friday - or at least that was what I thought I heard.  Be flexible - that is the key to medical missions!  

The concert at the church was very energetic and beautiful, but again, I wish I knew more of the language.  I am sure the concert would have been more beautiful if I understood the words.  Back to the hotel to get unpacked and get equipment ready to go to the clinic.  Also laundry day / night. Well at least for Jim.  By the time I had finished my laundry and went to get Christina, she was O-U-T - out!  No waking her.  So I tucked her into her mosquito net and got ready for bed myself.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.602s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 4; qc: 48; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb