the time has come...


Advertisement
Africa
December 8th 2009
Published: December 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

I can believe I have been here for more than 7 weeks now! Part of me feels like I just got here and another part feels like I have lived here forever. Going home will be bitter sweet. i will miss this place and especially the people like crazy. but what a better time to come home than at christmas! i can wait to be with my fiance, family and friends again! and i am also especially excited about some christmas food. =) i need some good meat in my diet. hehe =)

this past week i helped to teach a womens health program like i think i briefly mentioned in the previous blog. it was really cool. nearly 20 women in the community attended the 4-day session. we discussed health related topcis such as: the womens reproductive system, pregnancy and breastfeeding, family planning, STIs, HIV/AIDS, nutrition, domestic violence, etc. it went really well and i have continued doing a few more sessions this week. there is such a need for this type of education here. many people seem to be clueless on many of these issues, so i hope the program can continue to do well.

i officially leave the farm with the other three IU students on thursday. we are taking a 3:30 pm bus, driving all night and arriving to Mombasa on the coast at 6:30 am friday morning. we will be spending friday-monday at Diani Beach! I fully plan on snorkleing a ton and getting a tan. =) we will take another bus monday to nairobi where we will leave for our 3 day safari at the Masai Mara (tuesday-thursday). i can wait to see me some big cats, elephants, zebras and giraffes! thursday the 17th we get back to nairobi and spend a couple days there. saturday the 19th we leave africa and have a 10 hr layover in dubai. =) then back home again to indiana!

sooo...needless to say its going to be an exciting 2 weeks. im not sure if ill have the chance to blog again between now and the time i get home. but promise to write about everything when i return! i hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season!!

xoxo

Advertisement



11th December 2009

Nairobi hints
I spent a few days in Nairobi on my own and loved it. Definitely visit the Elephant Orphanage and Giraffe Manor. The best part (as always) is the people, but you do have to be careful there--Nairobi can be a bit overwhelming. I'm also not sure if you're read or seen "Out of Africa", but Karen Blixen's place is worth it if you have. You've done such amazing things during your time in Africa--cherish every minute and continue to use what you've learned in the future. The world is lucky to have people like you who care so much and are willing to try to make a difference. Your family and Nate will be so excited to have you home!

Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0741s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb