Homeward Bound


Advertisement
Africa
April 7th 2009
Published: November 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

I think Brooke and I have completely squeezed the most out of Jordan. I'm back in Cairo exhausted after sleeping approximately 8 hours in the last 3 nights. Too much to see only possible by starting at sunrise every day. Gladly. It's been an incredible destination and more sandy sojurns are definitely on the cards. The open space of the landscape sunsets, late cave nights out with locals and the hospitality of Jordanians has finished this trip beautifully! Brooke and I have also spent the last fours days with the most travelled person I've ever met - a Swiss guy called Michael who shared our desert jeep hire costs and generally added loads of insight.

We spent a gorgeous morning of hiking in the Dana Nature Reserve with a very cheery local guy named Mohammed. It's compulsory to walk with a local bedouin guide as the rock formations and pathless gorge is confusing and dangerous. The view of rose and white coloured rock peaks was broken up by Neopolitan Icecream like swirls of colour. Almost candy striped in some places, and with every turn a new perspective presented itself. High places took our breath away.

We walked through a super green lush valley used by a local Sheik to herd his black faced sheep. We uncovered some rock dwelling scorpions and sat to watch a chameleon doing it's thing. The tranquility of the gorge was only interrupted by the crazy howling wind as we scrambled, rock hugged, and water hole hopped the morning away.

We also had a massive day in a place called Wadi Rum - basically a 75,000 sq km National desert park. We took a million photos of red dirt, rock carvings and gorgeous faces. Topped only by a sentimental sunset with Brooke sharing the Ipod head phones. Moments that you feel completely free only better when shared 😊

Brooke is now in Istanbul, and I've got a lot of miles to endure in waiting lounges and three plane changes. My excessive baggage not helped by some excited carpet purchases in Egypt and Jordan. Just can't refuse a good ethnic textile opportunity 😊).

I'm going to miss this part of the world for now.
Thanks for coming along for the ride....

Kris-I'm-still-not-sick-of-felafel-Flint

Advertisement



Tot: 0.548s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb