First message on arriving


Advertisement
Africa
November 7th 2006
Published: November 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Travelblog -

6 November 06

Muli Bwangi (Greetings) from Senga Bay, Salima.

I have arrived at Ndi Moyo Cottage and my baptism of Malawi was an immediate familiarisation - in at the deep end - of what life is like here.

The flight was good and the service on Ethiopian Airlines was more than acceptable; a good route to take via Addis Ababa and then direct to Lilongwi and inexpensive in relative terms. Tony met me at 1.00pm and we drove in to Lilongwi for four hours of going round various businesses while the 4-wheel drive was being put through its annual certification for road-worthiness. There are some strict (regulations!) to adhere to in order to avoid (difficulties!). It starts to get dark at 5:30 so the drive back to Senga Bay via Salima which takes about 1 hr 30 mins. was partially in darkness; and you have to be careful as there are no street lights - a cow, goat or bullock cart may suddenly come into vision or a car travelling without its lights on or numerous people walking/cycling between hamlets either on the road or in the middle of it. When off the main tarmac road, 12 Km from Salima, you get on to sand tracks for 8 Km; these are getting quite rutted until the rains come which helps to make them smooth again.

Gail D’Oliviera and her husband, long time neighbours of Tony & Lucy ( they have moved to Mozambique for work) are staying with them too for a few days while they sort out a few of their affairs so it was good to met them. After 20 years in Malawi they have many stories and views which were good to hear. Gail is a trustee of the Ndi Moyo Palliative Care Trust.

Time to distribute some of the first presents that I had brought with me - the Ndi Moyo Polo shirts; you will see a picture of Lucy wearing her’s - she was very chuffed. We all then went to the Wheelhouse for supper after a quick much needed freshening up. I am sure that we will be going there again at some stage of my stay so more about it in due course. The meal was good and very filling so getting to sleep on our return (10:30 pm) took a bit of time; or was my head spinning with all that Tony, Lucy, Gail and D’Olie had told me?

7 November 06

Awake at 5am and up at 6:30am for breakfast from 7:30. Today was a longer affair - usually its fruit and porridge (fruit being freshly peeled mangos from the tree in the garden - delicious).

Handed over all the other equipment, gifts and medicines I had brought (48Kg of it) - Lucy very grateful of the kindness shown by all who had donated some of the items. Then it was off to Ndi Moyo Palliative Care Centre (NMPCC) in Salima, stopping on the way to see a patient with HIV and her mother to dispense pain-killers and anti-malarial drugs. The daughter’s husband had left her with one child because of her illness and for another. My first experience of the lovely, yet destitute people here. Homes are straw roofed mud huts in this and most of the villages/hamlets here and on the way to Salima/Lilongwi.
On arrival at Salima and NMPCC I met Janet a volunteer, Mike the employed Accounts Assistant and Nester the employed nurse and a number of the patients already there. One of the patients was a little boy of 12 (little in size as well) who has already been referred for potential chemotherapy treatment because of his condition (he is the one in the attached picture). Lucy gave him a present of the Arsenal shirt - his Mum was so proud of him and doesn’t he look good). We spent some time being shown around NMPCC and the Nick Webber Trust Administration/Accommodation Centre - these two buildings will form the overall centre that will be NMPCC. It is only when you are here that you can appreciate the amount of work that Tony & Lucy have taken on. Tony has to be on the ball with what is happening with the development of the Centre, amongst all the other environmental projects he is also initiating and managing. Where do they get their energy from? What could take an hour in England could take a day here if you let things follow their natural path so Tony is always chivvying things on and trying to make sure that assets and equipment are not stolen in the process.

I have already begun on some the work that I need to do here, getting the accounting system that Maureen worked on earlier in the year properly established along with establishing Policies and Procedures. Making NMPCC a sustainable venture is an essential need and much work needs to be done at these early stages. I may well be turning to some ‘friends’ with greater software for help - very soon. Please respond positively when I ask as your contributions would make such a big difference. My future blogs may have to be brief and to the point supported by pictures to tell the story.

Must now walk down to the bottom of the garden to the lake shore for some fresh air before I get my head down to the accounts. I already feel very privileged to be here and I could not done so without the great support of Anne and the rest of the family. Zukomi (Thank you).

Have not seen the Hippos or crocs yet. Very windy since I arrived so very few mossies - thank goodness.


Advertisement



10th November 2006

Ndi M
Hassan, following all your 'adventures'. Indeed what a privelege to be with Lucy and her people and partake in her vision and its development. Maureen
19th November 2006

Nicholas
Dear Maureen, this is the first occasion that I have been able to access my Travelblog account. Thanks for all your message ad I shall make a point of meeting Nicholas and family. I will email soon. Love from all here. XX

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb