Lake Kariba


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe » Lake Kariba » Kariba
August 17th 2011
Published: September 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Elephant At The PoolElephant At The PoolElephant At The Pool

Wild elephant approaches the swimming pool
As the kitten stalks the hippo, the dog chases the elephant while the stuffed lion looks over the bar. Guests get drunk while the hyena looks angry and the wild animal circus begins.

With no fences or national park boundaries wild animals are free to wonder through the campsite. Elephants and hippos are a common sight while crocodiles eyeball you for dinner.

Pitching your tent between hippo footprints and elephant dunn on the wildlife highway is an unnerving experience. Sitting back and relaxing at Warthogs bush camp overlooking lake Kariba truly is in a class of its own

After an exhausting 7 hour chicken bus journey North West from Harare I found myself well and truly off the backpacker trail. With only a handful of travelers passing through, you are quickly welcomed into the local community. As you hitch rides along the dusty roads, you instantly fall in love with the rustic style of this little town.

Hanging out at the bush camp you are within meters of elephants and hippos. With no fences separating you from the wildlife you truly get a feel of the African bush.

While a wild elephant wonders into the bar
Practical JokersPractical JokersPractical Jokers

Locals play joke with a stuffed hyena outside my tent
everyone runs for cover. As the local cat stalks the hippos the pet dog chases the elephants around the camp.

As you try to sleep you listen to the sounds of the African wild. While you try to make out the sounds, a dog chases the hippo around your tent. You lie there still, hoping you don’t get trampled on in the night.

Waking up in the night and needing to pee is an unwelcome feeling. Climbing out of your tent and coming face to face with a leopard truly is an adrenaline fueled experience.

The only way to get around Kariba is to befriend the locals. After a few beers you soon get invited on speed and house boats by the African elite. Fishing on Lake kariba is both relaxing and exciting. Catching your first 2.5Kg fish is a real treat.

Lake kariba is a stunning place. Warthogs Bush Camp is entertaining. Kariba is off the beaten track. Expect a lonely time away from other backpackers in the wilds of Zimbabwe.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Lake KaribaLake Kariba
Lake Kariba

Racing across Kariba on my friends speed boat!
Kariba DamKariba Dam
Kariba Dam

The Zambia & Zimbabwe Boarder


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb