Two Teenage Puku in Peril


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia
May 20th 2016
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -12.8546, 31.311

Went for our morning walk and saw two giraffe at a distance on the drive into the camp. When we got over to the lagoon side, Thomas, the gardener that morning walked out into the bush and found the giraffe heading over to the lagoon and we got to see them moving over there.

Decided to have breakfast at the restaurant and relax and enjoy the view. Walked back to the campsite in time to see two young puku jump from the park side to the barren island between the park and Wildlife camp. Roy, the motorcyclist and ourselves wondered whatever possessed them to do this. Seeing them jump to the island was pretty awesome. They seemed to have leapt at least 20 feet into the air.

We could tell they were kind of wondering themselves. The puku spent the next three hours walking up and down the island trying to figure out what to do. There of course was the attraction of puku on our side and some nice looking grass but the water was too deep! The place where they jumped to the island was too muddy for them to get a good jumping start, so what should they do.

Well, they decided to take a break from assessing their situation and do a sparring with each other. We decided they must be like teenagers the world over, blaming each other for the fix they were in. Finally, they moved down to the water and one after the other bounced their way back to the park side. Robert was able to video this and when we look at this in slow motion, you can see two crocodiles after the first of the puku. Glad to see they made it across safely. Once they had made it back, they both turned and looked at the water. Hope they really know how lucky they were!



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Beautiful Scene of Woman FishingBeautiful Scene of Woman Fishing
Beautiful Scene of Woman Fishing

Watch out for the crocs, lady!
Giraffe out on the ' Sahara ' river bedGiraffe out on the ' Sahara ' river bed
Giraffe out on the ' Sahara ' river bed

As seen from our campsite, always a pleasure to watch !


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0333s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb