Hippo Territorial Fights


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia
May 10th 2016
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -12.8546, 31.311

The rains came late to the Luangwa Valley this year but the river was flowing nicely when we first arrived. In the time we have been here, we have seen the river receding and so the depth of the river is also changing making the area for the hippos to hang out smaller and smaller.

As a result we are seeing more and more bellowing, moving around trying to claim their dominance for a particular area of the river. Watched as a hippo came running down from the park side and race into the water, cross to the island and continue running. Not far behind him was a larger hippo chasing him into the water on our side of the island.

Had some real displays and actual mouth open fighting and pushing each other around.

Had some new arrivals join us on the front row. Jason and Lisa from England who have driven down from England and are spending a year traveling in Africa. Then some other arrivals and they were Alberto and Anna from Barcelona who we had met at Mabuya Camp and had told them about Wildlife Camp and here they were. All visited for awhile before heading off to fix our meals.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb