A Clack of Ivory by the Chalets @ Wildlife Camp


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia
July 17th 2014
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -12.8546, 31.311

Today was a fairly low key day. Enjoyed sitting on the riverbank watching the sights of the early morning drinking our cup of coffee. We then took our usual walk and at one point had to go inside the eating area in the chalets because there was a elephant on the lawn. Came fairly close before Magoo walked out and shooed it away.

While we were sitting there enjoying looking down at the lagoon, two more young male elephants had come into view. They were jousting with each other and you could hear their ivory clacking. Did not see who was the victor or if one of them did indeed place his trunk and tusks on the other ones back.

Worked on stories at the overland lapa. Signal would come in and out but we were enjoying the breeze and table to work on. The lapa by our tent has very low hanging thatch and so if you sit at the table you cannot see out so it is not much use to us.

Robert made some palak paneer and we froze some for another meal. We are sharing the kitchen with the cook for a small tour company. When we walked in for the first time to meet him, he was baking bread and it smelled so delicious! He makes fresh bread almost every day. Spent some time visiting with him as we worked around each other.

Back to work on stories after lunch. There was a baboon eating the grass near where we were working that was missing most of his nose and upper lip. Poor thing. Salim said he had lost it in a fight with another baboon.

Had dinner at the bar and visited with Salim about some of the test questions for the safari guide test. He is going through old tests and thinking about how he would answer the questions. It was very interesting to discuss them.

During the night the elephants came through the campground but stayed mainly up in the overland area but you could hear the branches being torn from the tree as they munched away.



Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0162s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb