Zambia, Botswana and Back to Jo'Burg


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Livingstone
June 27th 2008
Published: June 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well, we crossed over to Zambia after visiting the Falls and met up with the truck and the rest of the group. We would be in Livingstone for two days, and then the group would separate. Some would be continuing with the truck (called "Norris" for "Truck Norris") up to Nairobi, others would be ending their trip in Livingstone, and a few (including me) would be heading back down to Jo'burg joining a new truck.

Our time in Zambia was very cool. I spent it rafting down the Zambezi. The rafting season had only opened up six days before, so I was really lucky to be able to do this, which was something I really wanted to do, but didn't think I'd be able to. Not much to tell, except that it was awesome. Class 3, 4 and 5 rapids were hit. It's not as exciting as during the dry season, when the water is lower and the rapids are bigger, but it was still a blast. Did get kicked out a couple of times, but the water was quite refreshing!

And then, it was our farewell dinner to the group. Another sad ending.

But a fun beginning too - we joined our new truck the next morning, with Frik and Sonja as our guides, and crossed the Zambezi by ferry back into Botswana. That night, we spend in Kasane near Chobe, and the people who joined us (some starting their trip in Livingstone, others coming down from Nairobi) when off on the same sunset cruise as we did. We stayed in camp, and just relaxed. It was nice.

The next day, we stayed at the campground called Elephant Sands. This was incredible. Wildlife, including elephants, walk right next to your tent on the way to the watering hole. That night, we saw them come up to the swimming pool and drink. It was spectacular.

On a sadder note, we also went out to see an elephant carcass that night. Hunters had shot it that day, and taken it's trunk and feet. You see, Botswana (with many elephants, some say too many) allow hunting. It's expensive, and requires a licence, but after seeing these beautiful animals for the last two weeks in the wild, I can't see how anyone could hunt them. It was very sad - and I felt like a voyeur looking at the carcass, but I was really hoping to see some hyenas or lions, but we scared them off on the drive in, I think.

We then drove on and got to South Africa. Staying at the Bushman's camp (and it was fantastic - like a zen garden in the middle of Africa) we got to do a night game drive at Thornybush, a private reserve, and a full day game drive in Kruger National Park. The night drive was a bit of bust - didn't see lions or leopard. The drive in Kruger was fantastic - saw a pride of lions (8), a solitary female, and tons of other wildlife. So, with the exception of the leopard, I've seen the Big Five (lion, black rhino, elephant, buffalo and leopard).

We arrived into Jo'Burg, and I said goodbye to the old Norris crew and the new guys. It was very sad, but I was already thinking about the next stage of my journey - Kilimanjaro, Ngorogoro Crater and the Serengeti.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Warthog in KrugerWarthog in Kruger
Warthog in Kruger

He's wearing his high heels!
Leopard KillLeopard Kill
Leopard Kill

Leopard's cache their kills in trees to prevent lions and hyenas stealing them, but it didn't stop this Martial Eagle from having a bite or two.


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb