Zambia - Vic Falls


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Livingstone
May 12th 2008
Published: June 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After Sth Luangwa we headed to Livingstone, via Lusaka... we stayed in a very cool hostel "jollyboys" where we had a reunion with our friends from flatdogs, also Anna's friend Vicky came to join us for a couple of weeks... in the space of a day we had the falls well and truely covered, at first on land... the falls can be seen from Zambia or Zimbabwe, from Zim you get the better overall view, from Zam you get closer... we didnt realise quite how close! as we approached we scoffed at the "gullible tourists" hiring the heavyduty raincoats and ploughed on... within seconds we were completely soaked... the falls kick up so much spray that it feels like you are in a torrential rainstorm! Was really cool and the shear power and size of the falls is so impressive....




We weren't so keen on handing over $60 for a visa and $25 park fees to an election fixing dictator so we gave Zim a miss and saw the falls in style... from above, got a microlight flight at sunset over the top, which was amazing - the only way to see the falls! On the way back you could see elephants, hippos and crocs, they look so small from above!!



By shear luck we were therem not only at a good time of year where the water us high but also at full moon, where the falls are open late to witness a lunar rainbow... we didnt know what to expect but it was spectacular and very strange to see the night sky lit up by a rainbow!



It was also Jez's birthday so naturally we celebrated onb the town...




Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb