Victoria Falls...Adventure Capital of Africa! Livingstone, Zambia


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Livingstone
December 14th 2007
Published: March 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Victoria Falls

This is one of the most gorgeous settings in nature!! The Falls are spectacular and there is no shortage in ways to view them: Hiking, river rafting, micro lite (glider), walking safari, bungy jumping, devil's armchair (unforgettable).

Victoria Falls is known as the adrenaline capital of Africa. It has one of the highest bungee jumps in the world, the Devils Armchair (a pool right on TOP of the falls, gorge swinging and white-water rafting. We wanted to indulge in every activity offered, and definitely enjoyed quite a few!

One of the highlights was white-water rafting on the Zambezi River. The rapids were way more than we bargained for! It took our "team" three tries to get through the very first rapid, the Boiling Pot. We all applauded ourselves when we finally made it through. On the biggest rapid called The Mother, our boat flipped over and we all spilled out into the river. All the lessons we learned during "orientation" were quickly forgotten as we went careening through the river in varying states of disarray. KT received a small welt above her eye and Karl smacked his ankle against a rock. All in good fun, right? Seriously, this was one of our most thrilling and memorable days of our trip so far.

Of the 25 rapids we negotiated, the last three or four were pretty mellow allowing us to completely absorb and enjoy the stunning beauty
Devil's ArmchairDevil's ArmchairDevil's Armchair

I was a bit nervous here, it's about a 350-foot drop!
around us. To top it off, after the rafting, we had to climb up this make-shift, rickity ol' wooden ladder, built into a sheer cliff. After negotiating the unruly Zambezi, we were a little surprised how hard it was just to simply get back to our return vehicle! Lastly, we all piled into a dilapidated, frightening "cable car" to haul us the final 400 feet. The contraption was built into the cliff's 45 degree angle and was lovingly named "Truly Zambian". Nobody spoke (or breathed?) while the cable car creaked and groaned its way to the top. We needed three beers on the way "home" to get our pulse back to normal. That being said, we may have had the three beers anyway.





Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

KF's Leap of FaithKF's Leap of Faith
KF's Leap of Faith

It seemed as if the river's push would send you right over the edge. Thrilling to say the least!
The Smoke that ThundersThe Smoke that Thunders
The Smoke that Thunders

This is the initial name of the Falls (translated) before Dr. Livingstone renamed them after his Queen.
RestingResting
Resting

After a long hike down to the "Boiling Pot"
BaboonBaboon
Baboon

He let us know when we were close enough.
Waiver Form:Waiver Form:
Waiver Form:

"If you fall over Victoria Falls because you allowed strangers to hold your ankles while you took a picture replete with bad beard, you will not press charges..." Signed, Karl W Freeman.
KF ZambiaKF Zambia
KF Zambia

As we were hiking down to the river, I saw the largest snake I've seen in the wild. An 8-foot black snake quickly slithered passed us under nearby rocks! I played it cool, naturally.
Tribal DancersTribal Dancers
Tribal Dancers

We walked to the Zimbabwe side of the falls and ran across this tribal group. We have their performance on video. Amazing.
Walking SafariWalking Safari
Walking Safari

Our guide Cheenga was so cool. The armed guard with us had been previously attacked by a buffalo and was still a bit jumpy. Do you blame him?
Walking SafariWalking Safari
Walking Safari

The cool thing about this day was walking ourselves through the park.
Camoflage?Camoflage?
Camoflage?

We see you...
KT and GiraffesKT and Giraffes
KT and Giraffes

We followed a giraffe that was beginning to give birth, but we made her nervous and so left her alone.
Hostel LifeHostel Life
Hostel Life

We miss our own utensils :)
Hostel CookingHostel Cooking
Hostel Cooking

This is why I got sick in Zambia. The communal kitchens are nasty!!
Hostel Life in ZambiaHostel Life in Zambia
Hostel Life in Zambia

However, we did have a nice pool


Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.1175s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb