Back to Capetown for the holidays


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
December 20th 2007
Published: March 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

KT CapetonianKT CapetonianKT Capetonian

Eschewing sunscreen and razors at this point...
After a long (but amazing) month in Zambia, we were definitely excited to get back to friends and our new family in Capetown. We had two full weeks in Capetown before flying to India. We spent the time with Angi, Gaz, Cardi and the gang at the Sunflower Stop, which was home for us at this point! Christmas day, we met great new friends Phil and Vicky (from the U.K. and threatening to invade America in the fall!).

We also wanted to explore more of this amazing city. We rented a car and took a scenic drive to the Cape of Good Hope and hiked incredible trails along Cape Point. A long walk from Green Point to Clifton Bay Beach was one of the most scenic anyone could ask for; winding roads around plunging cliffs dotted with little coves and beaches with clear, turquoise water.

Angi and the Sunflower Stop crew put together a wonderful Christmas day celebration for the guests-complete with "Christmas Crackers". We watched a spectacular sunset one night at Signal Hill with the whole gang. It was a great vantage point as you watch the sun dip into the ICEY Atlantic while the lights of the
Cape Point LighthouseCape Point LighthouseCape Point Lighthouse

The original lighthouse is a few hundred yards behind this vantage point. It was rendered obsolete when frequent low-hanging clouds obscured it from ocean vessels causing many ship wrecks.
city begin to shimmer below. Phil took home the sunset-photo trophy that evening, forcing Karl to give up photography on the spot.

One evening, we hooked up with Segrid, a friend we had met in Zambia (on the white-water rafting trip), and invited her and a friend of hers to join us for a very cool African drumming lesson/dance/dinner. It was fantastic!

For New Years Eve we pretended like we were 22 again and whooped it up with all the young backpackers. Karl got duped into working the barbecue (Phil, you sneaky bugger) and cooked for about 40 people. Later, we all went down to the Waterfront to watch fireworks at midnight. After the firework show, we went back to the hostel around 2am, where we attempted to stay up all night with Phil and Vick and send them off to their own trip to Victoria Falls. We failed! At 4:30am we said our goodbyes, crawled to bed, and were useless on New Years Day. Awww, just like at home!

Another great day was our hike up Lion's Head peak. We underestimated the difficulty of the venture (anyone surprised?) and paid for it with sweat by the
Cape of Good HopeCape of Good HopeCape of Good Hope

We had a wonderful hike between Cape Point and the Cape of Good Hope. There is some debate as to whether it's the southern most tip in Africa (it's not) but there's no debating the beauty of the region!
gallon. Luckily, the payoff was stunning, panaramic views and a great feeling of satisfaction.

Someday, we will return.





Additional photos below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The Beard that would not DieThe Beard that would not Die
The Beard that would not Die

KT and the San Diego Padre escaped convict.
Coastal Drive to Cape PtCoastal Drive to Cape Pt
Coastal Drive to Cape Pt

Amazing drive from Cape Proper...
Original LighthouseOriginal Lighthouse
Original Lighthouse

People were huffing and puffing on the trek up to this landmark. Us too.
Hugh B FreemanHugh B Freeman
Hugh B Freeman

If my grandfather had grown a beard, he may have looked a lot like this...
Bolders BeachBolders Beach
Bolders Beach

Between Cape Town and Cape Point is Simon's Town where you can visit a colony of African Penguins. There are over 2000 that call the area home.
Always on the lookout...Always on the lookout...
Always on the lookout...

...for surf! Cape Town has great surf, but we couldn't find anything decent during our visit.
Christmas dinner at Sunflower Stop!Christmas dinner at Sunflower Stop!
Christmas dinner at Sunflower Stop!

Back at our favorite hostel (for our third stint!) we joined cast and crew for a wonderful Christmas Braai (bbq).
Santa GazSanta Gaz
Santa Gaz

Our trusty barman would indeed be over-served himself...
Get Up, Gaz!Get Up, Gaz!
Get Up, Gaz!

X-mas day (early to be napping, yes?).
Signal Hill SundownerSignal Hill Sundowner
Signal Hill Sundowner

A fun group of friends enjoyed a sunset along with appetizers and cold drinks. The view over Cape Town from this vantage point is unbelievable!
The GangThe Gang
The Gang

Clockwise from KT: Vicky, Emma, Sarah, Angi, Gaz and Phil. This would turn out to be a dangerous group come New Years Eve.
Sundowner CrewSundowner Crew
Sundowner Crew

Angi organized the greatest spread of cheeses, dips, chips and assorted goodies!
U.K. ViewsU.K. Views
U.K. Views

Phil didn't have a problem telling us he usually "can't stand Americans". We took this as a challenge and a few beers later we were dubbed "the coolest Americans ever." A big ceremony with ribbons was involved. He recanted the very next day.
Djembe Drum LessonDjembe Drum Lesson
Djembe Drum Lesson

We went to a wonderful traditional African dinner one evening. Before the meal, we were given a 40-minute bongo (djembe) lesson. Great fun!


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb