Bwindi Impenetrable National Park


Advertisement
Published: September 7th 2018
Edit Blog Post

ok, I know I just posted a blog, but thought I would post a couple more pics because right now we have very fast internet in Nairobi, and tomorrow we leave for a 4 day safari in the Masai Mara which I know i will have a gazillion photos.



So, the 2nd Ugandan park with gorillas is called Bwindi Impenetrable National Park. And impenetrable it is. It was such a difference from Mgahinga in terrain. Mgahinga had some wide open areas where we were very lucky to see the gorillas.



Bwindi has a narrow trail for a short distance and then it is up, as our guide slashed a 'trail' for us with his machete. The vines and trees were so dense that even as he slashed we had difficulty following. We were lucky that we had a beautiful morning, but the area was still very wet and slippery. We were glad we brought the garden gloves, as we grabbed a hold of anything that would help us not tumble.



Fortunately, it was only about 45 mins of this until we reached the gorillas. And fortunate that the guide pointed the first one out to us or we would have probably slid right past him! It was also very fortunate that when they moved, they moved downhill, instead of up. But with all the slipping and sliding, a couple of times we were afraid of tumbling right into one of them.



It was interesting that in this group, the adult gorillas were solitary, none of them appeared to interact with each other, vs the Mgahinga group which were a much more social group. There were two younger ones that did enjoy trying to knock each other off the tree branches.



But once again, the hour went fast. So, as we got back on the main trail, come around a corner and there sitting on the trail is a solitare young male, just sitting and eating blocking our path. The guide explained he was @ 17 years old and had been kicked out of his family. He had yet to find another group that would allow him to join. It was definitely the best clear siting we had.



Both parks were so different. Although Bwindi was much harder to actually see the gorillas, it was fascinating to see them in such natural vegetation. It appeared the Park is doing an excellent job of preserving the natural state of their environment. We were really glad we were able to visit both of them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0187s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb