RIP Nampijja


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Central Region » Masaka
June 22nd 2008
Published: June 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

JoanneJoanneJoanne

Nampijja's daughter
One of the volunteers, Kate, had been taking care of a woman named Nampijja (taking her to different clinics and the hospital) for the past couple weeks. She was HIV+ and was finally diagnosed with AIDS, possibly TB, some other infection, and some kind of tumor-like things in the brain that are caused by AIDS. She passed away this Friday night. All the mzungus went with Fred and Adrian to the funeral by her house (way out in the bush). We felt a little uncomfortable because kids always go crazy when mzungus are around, but the commotion wasn’t too bad and I think it meant a lot to the family that we were there. There were probably 200 people there from the surrounding community. It was interesting seeing how they do it. The family is Catholic but there wasn't any kind of service. The priest said a little bit and then read all the different letters of condolences. The coffin was wood and simple, but had a beautiful cross on top.

Nampijja was only 25 years old, living with her mother (Jja Jja - means grandma in Luganda) and two kids (Joanne and Frankie - about 10 and 6 ish),
FrankieFrankieFrankie

Nampijja's son
and her husband had left a long time ago. Jja Jja was really upset and gave each of us a hug. She told Fred that she had lost everything, that her two sons don’t treat her well (one is an alcoholic). The kids seemed okay, I don’t think Frankie really understood what was going on. They are truly two of the sweetest, most beautiful kids I have seen here. Kate’s going to pay for their schooling and help them out with food for now. Please keep the kids and Jja Jja in your prayers.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.576s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 65; dbt: 0.1559s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb