Uganda; Drive Days and Bush Camps


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Central Region » Masaka » Kyetume
December 23rd 2008
Published: February 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 255 (21/12/08)
Feeling a little worse for wear, we opted for some french toast to ease the hangover before trying our hands at hand washing our laundry.... pretty much everything we had packed. We quickly realized when weren’t made for the days before washing machines. Fed up we had a cold drink and decided to head into town to let our families know that yes we were still alive. After wandering a good ten minutes in the wrong direction we finally got on the right road and stumbled across a remarkably fast internet. Then back to camp for some spag bol for dinner and an early night in preparation for our 6am leave the following morning.

Day 256 - DRIVE DAY
Up and at ‘em before the sun and in the truck for a nap. We arrived to Oasis's sponsored family for a roadside lunch and a chat with the many children. Back on the truck Carly managed to read James Patterson’s “You’ve been warned” from cover to cover whilst Jez enjoyed another Will Farrell movie on the IPOD. We arrived to Kabala at the “Little Ritz” camp site just after 5pm. With some time to kill before tea we attempted our first exercise since leaving the UK, knowing pushups and situps were going to leave us sore for days. Dinner was a local speciality “Matoke” a stew comprising of green banana’s, potato, carrot and onion... unfortunately it wasn't going to become a favourite.

Day 257
Another early start which our body clocks were beginning to adjust to and we were back on the road by 7am. We stopped at the equator for a few pics and then Kilgali at the Rwandan Genocide Museum, after a brief tour of the mass graves we wandered through the personal accounts of the local Rwandan’s and accounts from the other genocide wars. We left feeling speechless and shocked at the cruelty and how recent it took place. After a lengthy wait at the border we crossed into Rwanda passing time kicking the footy much to the amazement of some of the locals. We drove through Rwanda mesmerized by its beauty known as the Switzerland of Africa for its lush forest on the highly fertile volcanic mountains. We arrived in Ruhengeri(aka Musari) at 4pm and checked into the Dorm at the Mission. Jez headed down the street to cook group shop, then spent the evening preparing, cooking and cleaning, serving up a fantastic meal of Mexican stuffed potatoes. We hit the sack early, more excited than kids on Christmas eve (except is was actually Christmas Eve eve) in anticipation for trekking the Mountain Gorilla’s the following morning.




Advertisement



19th February 2009

Sounds like you gus are haveing an amazing time. Lovin catching up with the blogs! Remeber ..... ROXANNE, YOU DONT HAVE TO PUT ON THAT RED LIGHT!

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb