An eventful week


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Central Region » Kampala
May 25th 2010
Published: May 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Shuku buried in the sandShuku buried in the sandShuku buried in the sand

Shuku making the most of the beach!!!
After having four weeks of holidays with the kids, yesterday we saw them back at school. Over the past week, we have been busy organising their school requirements as well as placing two kids into boarding school, the youngest into kindergarten and another boy into day school. This is a direct result of the money that we raised before we left.

We would like to comment on the two boys who we placed into boarding school. The decision to put them into boarding school was to prevent them from returning to the slums and to give them the best chance of a successful future. Both boys had the tendency to return to the slums due to external influences and we all saw that it was necessary for them to be away from Kampala to give them the best opportunity to make a go in life.

We also we continued volunteering in the slums this week on Wednesday and Friday. The time we spend in the slums reminds us that every child from PCA started here. It's amazing to see how when a child has been given an opportunity to turn their life around they grab it with both hands.
Loving every momentLoving every momentLoving every moment

A photo shoot with Isma and Moses


However, it hasn't all been hard work, we took all the kids to the "beach" last Saturday before they returned to school. We had the most enjoyable day with the kids which involved hours of swimming, dancing and playing games. Their excitement of boarding a bus, eating popcorn and chocolate biscuits was overwhelming and just to see their faces light up with excitement of actually leaving their home and going to the beach was priceless. Every child was evidently grateful for this day and again it made us appreciate our time here and realise that we are truly making a difference in their lives.

On a personal note, we have both had our ups and downs with the difficulties of living in another country but we wouldn't change our time here in Uganda. We are both grateful for this opportunity and will continue to embrace the challenges that are thrown our way, i.e. an infected eye, injuring ourselves and just being a muzungu (white person)!!!

Hope all everyone is well and once again we leave you with these photos of our week.

Until next time, love Jac and Kate xo





Abdul ready for schoolAbdul ready for schoolAbdul ready for school

Abdul is excited and ready for his first day at boarding school





Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Group photoGroup photo
Group photo

All of us before we enter into the beach!
Boys being boys!Boys being boys!
Boys being boys!

Having fun buring Moses in the sand!!!!
Paul, Kate, Jac and MartinPaul, Kate, Jac and Martin
Paul, Kate, Jac and Martin

The four of us chilling at the beach


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb