Nabeul - beautiful pots and a few old rocks


Advertisement
Tunisia's flag
Africa » Tunisia » Hammamet
January 30th 2010
Published: February 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Roll on the summer!Roll on the summer!Roll on the summer!

We want rid of our fleeces!!
On a Friday evening we took a louage (shared minibus-style taxi) out to Nabeul on the Cap Bon peninsula. It took us about 90 minutes to get there and we were soon settling into our hotel and deciding where to go for dinner! The Hotel Les Jasmins was nice, despite the dreadful music on their website! The nearby Restaurant Slovenia provided a beautiful meal for a pretty reasonable price considering the plush surroundings and the efficient smartly dressed waiters. Afterwards we declined to go for a drink in the bar as it was just too smoky. No no-smoking policy over here!!

The next morning we had a very pleasant stroll down to the beach admiring some of the tiles on local houses along the way. The ancient Neapolis site seemed to be closed (in fact we were on the wrong road for the entrance!) but we've seen enough such places now! It was sufficient just to peer through the fence!

Walking into town we passed the famous Orange Bowl roundabout. Quite why a huge ceramic orange bowl dominates the skyline we don't know, but probably because ceramics and oranges are the main products of the region! It's just a shame there
Orange BowlOrange BowlOrange Bowl

Shame about the traffic
was so much traffic around. We also looked in on the potted tree. For some reason they built a ceramic pot around a tree on another roundabout. It wasn't nearly as picturesque as it sounds.

Next we wandered into the touristy part of town where artisans are at work and the shopkeepers hassle you to buy their wares. We succumbed and bought a lovely picture but the ceramics will have to wait for another day. They are fabulous and the prices are much better than in the touristy parts of Sousse so we will return one day and make some purchases.

Our plan for the day was to browse in the morning and then take a louage along the coast to Kelibia. To get to the louage station we walked past the attractive Martyrs' Square although we don't really understand its significance. We liked Nabeul and maybe next time we'll manage to be there during the day on a Friday when the market is supposed to be one of the best around.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

NeapolisNeapolis
Neapolis

But it was closed when we walked by!
Cloud FormationsCloud Formations
Cloud Formations

Is it a sheep?!!
Hotel DogHotel Dog
Hotel Dog

What a cutie!
Potted treePotted tree
Potted tree

Shame about the traffic again!


7th February 2010

WOW!
I love those plates. I can imagine a beautiful salad sitting atop one of those blue and white ones. Yum!

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb