VSO Annual Volunteer Conference


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania
December 13th 2012
Published: December 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Last week, approximately 90 VSO volunteers, from all over Tanzania, arrived in the capital city of Dodoma for 3 days of lectures, experience-sharing, and catching up with people we haven't seen for awhile.

After the drive from Dodoma, it was great to sit with friends from all three sectors and have a beer to get caught up.

VSO works in the area of three different sectors... Health, Education, and Secure Livelihoods.

Health (where my placement falls under) has Doctors, Nurses, Hospital Administrators, and Specialists who are here to train the locals in their areas of expertise. This gathering in Dodoma gave the volunteers a chance to gather together and talk about common issues, problems, and solutions to watch they see in their various regions and districts.

Education has Teachers, Administrators, and the like who, again, are here to train the local techers and Principals on teaching methods, giving them new ways to work with the Tanzanian students and improve the quality of education here.

Secure Livelihoods deals with specialized professionals who are here to work with groups on everything from tourism to bee keeping, soap making, cattle management, farming and fishing.

The theme for the conference was "Change".... creating change within our projects, creating change in our communities, dealing with change as we make our way through our placements, and finally, dealing with the change of returning home after our time here is up.

I was asked to be the official photographer for the conference.... It seems that no one ever really takes pictures so they don't have any for the archives. Normally, I take decent pictures, but I have to say this time, my skills must have stayed home, because I managed to capture most people in the least flattering ways. Someone said the ratio of bad pictres to good ones was about 4:1.

The bad ones are what I am going to share with you... and these are just some of them!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



18th December 2012

Christmas
Hi Bob - you are doing great work - keep it up , but be safe and happy at Christmas . George and Cathy

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb