Birds of a feather


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania
September 23rd 2009
Published: September 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Dear Blog Readers, I must write down the following incident before it is lost amongst the long gray hairs. Early this morning, well, not so early for our resident rooster, the bird that favors our dining room window returned. We have novicely identified her as an African Golden Orielo. She and her mate have been tapping at our window for some unknown reason. Is it to get nesting material from our curtains? Is it to peck at their reflection? Is it to provide us with a look at nature up close and personal? Whatever the reason we might attribute to this behavior, we are left in awe by the tenacity of this bright yellow, black masked bird. The tapping goes on all day, interrurpted by winds, walkers, and other unknown needs that a bird only needs to know.
When we came back we did not see our songbirds or hear their beautiful aria. But, there on our window, running down like paint drips on a paint can, were numerous white streaks of guano letting us know that indeed, we were still be visited. And, although we may have to go to Dar for MSC, the birds prefer it here in the village with trees and seeds, not population and polution.
A quick window wash was all that it took to bring them "hodi-hoding" back to our glass and barred window. They are perhaps looking into our world, but we are definitely looking at theirs and watching bird behavior at its best. We hope when we return home, we'll have time to continue observing our fine feathered friends. As Kay Goings always said to her kindergarden students, "A feather is a letter from a bird". Stay healthy and happy. love, Dave & Wendy

Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb