The Mystique of Zanzibar


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Zanzibar » Zanzibar City
January 18th 2009
Published: January 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

ZANZIBAR.... it's ok, say it again- this time with a little more flare.... at the same time the name rolls off your tongue a certain mystique and wonder is aroused in the imagination. There has always been something alluring about Zanzibar- but no one can articulate it, you just have to be there to absorb the wonders it holds. It is easy to get lost in the narrow streets of Stone Town - Not only because it is like a maze with no order, but also behind every corner and bend is another hidden treasure. A beautiful 18th century door amongst crumbling buildings, shops full of spices and art, Muslim women in traditional scarves huddling together to gossip and laugh, children playing with kites and rolling tires... it is one place I don't mind getting 'lost' in.
I initially came to Zanzibar for some classic beach time- but soon discovered there is so much more than the beautiful beaches. I have already canceled my ferry ticket back to the mainland once, we'll see how many more times that will happen😊 I have met some very nice German girls that are volunteering here and have done a great job of making me feel welcome and convincing me to stay longer. Now that I'm towards the end of my trip it is not too hard to convince me to drop my increasingly heavy backpack and stay a bit longer.
Spices are still Zanzibar's major export and a 'spice tour' was the perfect introduction into the history of the land, the people and the lifestyle. There was a story behind every spice- We tasted every spice at the site of its growth- from Cinnamon, cloves and vanilla to cardamom, turmeric & pepper. We had a lunch that was especially spiced up and then were adorned with banana leaf jewelry.
The spice tasting continues with every meal while in Stone Town- when the sun sets an alley that is close to the water comes alive with vendors selling skewers of every kind of catch of the day- lobster, crab, tuna, squid- all placed on the grill and ready to order, the perfect meal can be taken to the beach and really appreciated in the perfect setting... it will be hard to leave...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb