That's cool, I'm not gonna make it but I'll order it from ZANZIBARRRRR


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Zanzibar » Kendwa
June 12th 2008
Published: June 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Yes, that's right everyone we are now in Zanzibar!! It is amazing.

We arrived here last Thursday after a couple days in Dar Es Salaam, which everyone said is just awful but we didn't find it too bad at all. Some aggressive touts but that was about it. We ate at a real SUBWAY restaurant hahah which was a great treat. We got an afternoon ferry across the ocean to Zanzibar Thursday afternoon and it was really nice, we got VIP which actually wasn't a big deal at all because they make every foreigner get it and it just means we spend more money! Anyways we arrived in Stone Town and were immediately accosted by this guy who followed us around everywhere. When we actually asked him to take us to our hotel he told us it was closed because the entire island is without power (which it is by the way, and has been for about 6 weeks now with no end in sight!!!) and took us to this random building, explaining that the sign and everything had been taken down. Of course, we found out the next day on our spice tour that several people are staying there and that it is open and fully operational with a generator, hot water and the works! The hotel he took us to, and probably got commission for bringing us to, had none of the above!! But it was ok because we met a bunch of great people and ended up heading to the north of the island with them. But 1st thing's first: the spice tour!! It was soooo cool, we got taken around to all these farms that grow cinnamon trees, and ginger plants, and starfruit, and all these wonderful things. And we got to taste a bunch of it along the way too. Then they fed us lunch and it was fantastic!! Definitely worth the 12 dollars we spent on it.

The next day we headed to the north of the island with a bunch of people we'd met - some people from the UK (who are quite numerous here!!). We're staying in a place called Kendwa at a little hut on the beach, and it is actually paradise. Just incredibly beautiful. We wake up every morning to the sound of waves on the beach and then spend the day just lazing around. I wish I had more exciting things to write about but it's really all we do hahaha!! It's very nice and relaxing though to be in one place for a long time rather than moving around and all the trekking we've been doing. We went snorkelling on Monday and we saw lots of amazing reef marine wildlife, including a BARACUDA!!! I am not even kidding it scared the SHIT out of me!! I swam I think the fastest I ever have in my life, no word of a lie... but it was an awesome trip, out on a sailboat with a great bbq lunch on the beach of tuna and fresh fruit.

We'll try and post again next week, but as there is no power here it's hard to get online!! As always, love and hugs to everyone!! Missing you all

xoxoxo

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb