Jambiani


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Zanzibar » Jambiani
July 19th 2012
Published: July 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Azure blue waters, blinding white coral sand that is so soft it's like talcum powder, coconut palms swaying in a gentle breeze, a hot tropical sun, a room with a king-sized bed that stands 3 feet high and you literally have to climb into which has views of all of the above - travelling in Africa can be tough sometimes. This is the perfect place to end my travels. Have been snorkelling in the lagoon a couple of times, it's not The Red Sea or Sipadan but have spotted Lion Fish, Clown Fish, Puffer Fish, Sea Snake, Eel, Lobster and the usual array of fish usually associated with a tropical aquarium.

Organised a car and a party of 4 of us to go to the Rock Restaurant about 20km up the coast on Tuesday night. Visually it every bit as good as the photos on the net. What a stunning place. And on top of that the food was very good as well, the Tuna Carpaccio starter was excellent and the Jumbo Prawns lived up to their name with 2 filling a dinner plate all washed down with a surprisingly acceptable South African Chardonnay. Good food & good company with stunnning views what more can a bloke ask for.

Went fishing Wednesday morning but only caught 1 Yellow Snapper about 6 inches long. I was about to throw it back but was prevented by the boatmen. It turned out to be the catch of the day. I told the guys we had a saying at home that "When the wind blows from the south the fish close their mouths" it seems they have the same saying, so it must be true. The wind was so strong that we couldn't risk raising the sail to return to shore so had to pole the Ngalawa (small fishing Dhow) back across the lagoon. Heard later that the wind had caused the ferry to Pemba Island to roll over and sink with at least 35 dead and 135 missing. I suspect that gross overloading probably had more to do with it.

Other than that took a few gentle strolls through Jambiani village, all the buildings are constructed from coral rock and stretch for a couple of km's along the coast. It's quite a poor place but the hotles along the water front provide some employment and support for the village.

I guess my month is up - it's been quite a trip.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1203s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb