DAY 8 - Visit to Local Fishing Village


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » West
June 30th 2011
Published: December 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

One of the highlights of the entire trip was taking a short boat ride to a small fishing village. Unchanged for hundreds of years, they had only recently begun receiving visitors from Lupita Island. They were very friendly, especially the children, who immediately swarmed us. Begging for money? No! They were fascinated with our digital cameras. We spent a good hour taking dozens of photos of them, then showing them on their camera screen. They just couldn’t get enough of this! I showed them pictures of animals from the Serengeti and they would call out their names in Swahili. They knew them all! Then our liaison brought out a soccer ball and they went nuts, running around the village, kicking around the ball.It was so much fun to watch.

They sang and danced for us, then took us on a tour of their village. We got to meet the witch doctor and see the table of stuff he uses in his practice. He has a large roofing nail embedded under the skin in his arm which protects the village from attackers. I am pretty sure he put a funk on me that makes me want to go back to Africa.

That evening at dinner, we dined outside by the pool, and a local group was brought in to sing and dance for us. It was a very special event.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb