Ngorongoro Crater


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Ngorongoro Conservation Area
August 25th 2011
Published: February 21st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Accommodation: Ngorongoro Crater Lodge

Game Viewing: Lions, Elephants, Hippos, Buffalo, Cheetah, Zebra, Wildebeest, Hyenas, & Birds

Game drives: 6:30am to 2:00pm – normally only one game drive a day as the park closed at 6:00pm.

However I did manage two (2) drives in a day to try and maximize the game viewing.

Guide: Killian – very good

The Ngorongoro Crater is located in Northern Tanzania, once a volcano, is the largest intact caldera in the world. It is an extensive highland area with a 600 metre (1,900 ft) deep Crater which is the focal point that shelters one of the most beautiful wildlife havens on earth. The views are spectacular and because the animals are not migratory, it is arguable one of the world’s natural wonders.

From Zanzibar we flew to Arusha and then onto the Ngorongoro Crater. Throughout our Tanzania/Kenya trip the main mode of transportation was by air on Cessnas with both Coastal Aviation and Safari Link. The flights were amazing as the low flying allowed for great game viewing from the air and the sheer remoteness of the airstrips allowed us to see the country sides.

The Crater Lodge provided for some specular views, the service was exceptional, and the accommodation was beautiful. However, the game viewing had a wee bit to be desired, as the Crater is full of vehicles (40-50 at a time) which must stay on the designated roads. Because there is no off roading permitted, anytime an animal sighting occurred it resulted in a congestion of vehicles and the viewing of the animals occurs at quite a distance – unfriendly for most camera’s unless you have a 500mm or more.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1152s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb