Trek Day 1 - Off and running...


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Mount Kilimanjaro
September 9th 2011
Published: September 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Marangu Gate (1860 m/6100 ft) - Mandara Huts (2700m/8860 ft)
Walking distance: 8 km/5 miles
Walking time: 3-4 hours
Altitude gain: 840 m/2760 ft

After arriving late the previous night into Tanzania we were up early for breakfast and departure to the starting point for our trek. It took an hour to drive from Moshi to the Marangu Gate, the starting point for our assault on Kilimanjaro. We were joined by our lead guide, Michael; doctor Alfred who would accompany us on the trek as well as many assistant guides and loads of porters to carry all the luggage and food.

We had our first taste of 'Tanzanian time' as it took us nearly two hours to register the group before we could enter the national park and start the walk.

When we finally got underway the first days terrain was thick rainforest and low cloud with no views of the challenge ahead. It was our first experience of the "poley, poley" approach to climbing Kili which literally means "slowley, slowley". Whilst we both found the pace slower than we would normally walk, we amused ourselves getting to know our fellow climbers and guides and saw monkeys in the trees.

We stopped for lunch on route and had our first experience of the organisation and hospitality of the cooks and porters as they had raced up an alternate route and were busy preparing our lunch when we arrived at the designated spot. Nutritious leek soup and a meat dish followed by fruit, all served on a table cloth with paper napkins and cups of tea!

After finishing lunch we continued into the rainforest with the clouds thickening around us for a few more hours. We arrived into our first camp at 5:30pm at which time the clouds were surrounding the camp. We were allocated a four man hut with our tour leader and another guy which weren't huge but provided a dry and comfortable place to sleep. After another tasty dinner we retired to our sleeping bags for a surprising good nights sleep.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Pillow casePillow case
Pillow case

Just in case we forgot where we went to sleep
Ready to goReady to go
Ready to go

The group ready to go...
RegistrationRegistration
Registration

Fresh and naive....
RainforestRainforest
Rainforest

The walking pace was set slow by our guide Michael.
Preparing LunchPreparing Lunch
Preparing Lunch

The porters cooked up delicious soups and hot meals 3 times a day
LunchLunch
Lunch

Table clothes and napkins, posher than home.
Mandara HutsMandara Huts
Mandara Huts

Low cloud was with us for the first 2 days hampering our views of the surroundings.
Hut at MandaraHut at Mandara
Hut at Mandara

Basic but dry.


Tot: 0.28s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 82; dbt: 0.1657s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb