Getting here amd the beginging of my work


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Mount Kilimanjaro
October 21st 2008
Published: October 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Jambo,

So I arrived three days ago, and have really been on the go ever since. CCS provides you with a lot of cultural understanding exercises and in formation sessions so that we can have a better understanding of the area. I have been out and about in the community a number of times, and the people here mostly belonging to the chagga tribe a soo friendly. Not uncommon to be walking down the road and strike up a 5 minute conversation with someone that you have never met. They are all so interested in where you are from, and what you do, and even what your religion is. It is frowned upon by these people to not belong to a certain denomintion, so I try to not answer the question when it is asked becasue I do not want to be judged or disliked. I have learned alot about this culture and it is amazing how old school it is. Men are so much more "important" then women in this culture. They handle all finances and any major family decision. Women really have no say.

One of the culture sharing exercies that we were required to do was to go to some ones house in our neighborhood and ask to come into there house and see a Khanga, which is a skirt/apron with beutiful colorful prints on it. And we had to introduce our selves, and tell the family who we are and where we are from..ALL IN SWAHILI....I felt so dumb becasue I really have to command over the language at all, luckily the mother (Mama Dativa) spoke some english, and we were able to mke it through the conversation. It was so interesting to see how these local people live. Some houses are made of Stacked branches and mud, other houses of cement and others out of spare pieces of wood, but despite their lack of resources (water, food, education, fun) these are the most warm and genuinely happy group of people I have ever met.

Today I started my job or placement. Shira Mantunda (Many Fruits) center for children with disabilities. there was about 15 students here today, with disablilties ranging from autism, downs, fetile alcohol syndrome, and other basic cognitive developmental delays. There is even a 35 year old man in the class who is mentally retarded, but he is the nicest guy you will ever meet. We started the day off with songs and small dances that the children practice every morning. Then we jump right into basic arithmetic. Since the severity of the disabilities are so widely spread, each child requires a certain amount of support from the teachers and I. Some of the kids are very self sufficient, while others need help with every little detail of their work. Then we played outside; soccer, jump rope and even shot put (training for the Tanzania special olympics.) Then I had my first taste of African porriage...wasnt to bad. Then we finished the day with some grammar, and pronuciation practices. It was a great first day!!!

I dont have to much else for now, and oh yea sorry for the mispelled words...I have to rush through the typing, other people are waiting for the computer.

Kwa Heri,

Nick

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb