Residential Moshi - Njoro


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Moshi
November 4th 2009
Published: November 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

In the center of Moshi, there are many volunteers and tourists so seeing them on the street is very common. However, when you go into the residential areas, there is sometimes great excitement from the children on seeing a "mzungu" (white foreigner). Most will automatically assume that you are a teacher and many "wazungu" - the plural form of mzungu, are called mwalimu (teacher). Many of the children have had experience with volunteer teachers in Moshi urban, but that quickly drops off when you enter into Moshi rural and once you get outside of Moshi district in the Kilimanjaro region, their exposure to volunteers just about vanishes. Here is a picture of children who came running out to see a mzungu. The picture was taken in Njoro, a residential neighborhood in Moshi urban. You can see how excited the children are and the smile on their faces, except for one. When you look at the condition of his feet, you will see that he has rickets, a common problem in not only children but some adults as well.

Advertisement



17th June 2010

nostalgia
i was born in moshi in 1958 and brought up in the police lines untill 1967 when my dad brought me back to kenya and him he went to songea ,dodoma and finally dar.i remember njoro as a place where we as kids went for wild mangoes.it was a cool place with tiny streams .i dont know whether the rickets is caused by the water available there?us we used to drink but lived thru.i visualise njoro and if volunteers can assist that is super.currently iam a librarian at maseno university in kenya.

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb