Another Week in Tanzania


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Arusha
June 7th 2010
Published: June 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Family Folding PartyFamily Folding PartyFamily Folding Party

assembling and folding evangelism booklets
This past week has been a full one. A group of 13 campaigners from Hoover, AL arrived Saturday, May 29th, to work here for a week. Since that many would be a bit crowded in our living room, we decided to hold our Sunday evening devotional on the ACSOP premises, and also feed the group supper.

Monday evening Bonnie Samford and I prepared supper for the group. We cooked at home, then loaded up our food and took it to the school where we fed everyone. For Tuesday's evening meal, some meat was catered, and missionaries provided side dishes.

Thanks to the generous contribution of the Tiftonia church of Christ in Chattanooga, TN, we've been able to print some more of our personal evangelism booklets. Originally, we thought we'd only be able to print 500 or so, based on a quote from a print shop in town. However, George was able to work it out so that for the cost of paper and ink we could print it ourselves. This meant being able to print significantly more than we first thought possible. After numerous delays (that seems to be the usual here) - buying needed paper and ink, waiting for machine to be repaired, waiting for an opening when the machine could be used, etc. etc., George and Jacob, with the help of Ahimidiwe, printed 1,000 Swahili copies and 500 English copies. We still have funds to print some more, when time allows.

Presently we are attending the Monduli congregation on Sundays, and during the Bible study time George is familiarizing the congregation with the personal evangelism booklet and how to use it to teach others. This past Sunday he introduced the material, with each member having their own copy. We hope that this will be a good tool for them to use in their evangelism efforts.

The Creature Feature


We have more creatures than we'd care to have in and around our home. For starters, it seems that slugs are multiplying faster than necessary. They keep finding their way into our house. Luke discovered one on his ceiling the other morning, and Lindsey met one as she went into the shower room. She promptly made a u-turn and decided to let one of the boys take care of it.

A couple of nights ago Julia saw something on the couch and brushed it off, only to find out that it was a scorpion. Fortunately it was already dead and flat as a pancake. We are pretty sure nobody sat on it, and the best we can determine is that it came in, probably dead already, stuck to the bottom of a camera bag, that had been set on the couch.

This afternoon I was out enjoying some fresh air and trimming some hedges in our yard. As I was raking up the trimmings, I also raked a little snake out from under a hedge. He wasn't the friendliest of creatures - raring up, sticking it's little forked tongue out and striking at my rake. Jacob did the valiant deed and killed it, but we did get a close look and pictures before the final blow. It definitely had fangs and most likely poisonous, although we haven't come to any firm conclusion as to what kind it was. I think I will think twice before sticking my hand in the bushes to pull weeds, like I usually do.

Julia leaves for the states one week from today, and the rest of us leave four weeks from today. Our anticipation is building as time draws near. We are really looking forward to seeing many family and friends once again.

In Christ's service,
Joy

Advertisement



7th June 2010

I hate snakes. Long ones short ones, little one big ones. I had a hard time reading your blog because that stinking snake kept looking at me! No more snakes please. just ken
7th June 2010

So glad to hear that the personal evangelism booklets were able to be printed and distributed! Keep up the good work! Thanks Joy, George and family for doing the Lord's work in Tanzania. Please be careful with those creatures, especially the snakes and scorpions! In Christian Love, The Marshalls
8th June 2010

Wow!
I must admit I'm glad the snake was found after we left TZ because I'm not sure I would have felt as comfortable at your house! Hope you all are doing well. Miss you all!
8th June 2010

Slugs
Not sure if you can get table salt cheap there. But if so sprinkle it around all openings to the house. The salt will stop them from getting in. Pete
8th June 2010

Slugs
Thanks, Pete, for the tip. We just may try that. :)

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb