First Day In Arusha


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Arusha
February 24th 2008
Published: February 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Traditional Maasai MarketTraditional Maasai MarketTraditional Maasai Market

The market we went to is not a tourist market, but a traditional market where the Maasai trade goods, goats and cattle.
Today we had a very easy, but fascinating day. They let us sleep in in the morning as it was Sunday and we were all suffering from jet lag.

After a huge breakfast we were taken to a traditional Maasai market way out in the countryside, not your normal tourist destination, we were the only whites there. Here they sold everything from clothes to fruit and vegetables and goats.

After taking a few photos and picking up a few bargains in the form of Maasai blankets. We had lunch in the form of roasted goat over an open fire.

We also bought a live goat and loaded it onto the bus. This was a gift for the Maasai village we intended to visit on the way home. This is the village of Samwell, one of the Maasai warriors who guards the school at night. He took us there to meet his family and show us his home.

This was a very traditional village, not a tourist village, no tourist ever visits it as it is at the end of a very long dusty bumpy road. The villagers were very friendly and the kids all swarmed around us wanting their photos taken. The wives asked not to have their photos taken, but were happy for us to see inside their homes. Which was a hut made from sticks and rendered with mud, the roof is thatched and the floor is earthen.

The Maasai all still wear their traditional dress and like all Tanzanians take a lot of pride in their appearance. Everybody wears such incredible bright and beautiful clothes and are always spotless. This is amazing given the living conditions of most of the population. They are all very friendly and welcoming.

Tomorrow we start work and we are looking forward to it.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

A new warriorA new warrior
A new warrior

A Maasai warrior shows me how to wear their traditional dress, much to the amusement of everyone.
The road to Samwell's villageThe road to Samwell's village
The road to Samwell's village

and this was the good section.


29th February 2008

Aw
Dad these are amazing photos. especially the one of the young warrior! Keep it up Love you.
2nd March 2008

Hello Jane Morse
Hello Tall Jane, Snaps look great thanks to your travel companion. I love the houses around there. Did you know that in Malawi and Zimbabwe they had square rather than round houses. Reckon the round ones are more impressive. Take care. Love from all the Moreysxxxxx

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 5; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb