The Trip From Hell


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Arusha
February 23rd 2008
Published: February 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well we finally made it safe and sound to Arusha in Tanzania. The trip was long and very tiring, spending over 40 hours in planes, airports and buses is not my idea of fun. By the time we arrived at Arusha everyone was exhausted, sore and very smelly.

We arrived Saturday night at around 7.45 pm Arusha time and a hot meal was waiting for us. We were all very happy to have hot showers and collapse into bed.

The trip was very hard on everyone as we had a 7.5 hour flight from Melbourne to Singapore. At Singapore we had a 5 hour wait. The shopping in the airport was great and that kept everyone occupied, that was until all the shops shut at midnight and we had nothing to do for 2 hours. Everyone was tired and some tried to catch some sleep anyway they could.

From Singapore we flew to Doha in Qatar, which took 5.5. hours. Most managed to catch a couple of hours sleep on the flight. At Doha we had a 3 hour stop over which was a lot easier to handle. We arrived at around 6.00am and the sun was just rising. It was very cool and refreshing. The shopping in Doha airport was small but very up market.

From Doha we flew to Nairobi in Kenya which took about 5 hours and again we had another 3 hour wait. Finally we flew to Kilimanjaro International Airport in Tanzania. The flight actually circled Mt Kilimanjaro and it was incredible to see it up so close. Unfortunately a lot of the glaciers are melting due to global warming. That and the fact it was summer there was limited snow on the mountain, but it was still very impressive.

We were meet by Asher from the School of St Jude and were then driven by bus back to the school. The trip took almost an hours and everyone basically passed out on the bus.

After a beautiful meal cooked by Stevie and Rumadam everyone had a much needed hot shower and collapsed into bed. That was until Rod’s daughter called him at 4.35am in the morning on his mobile and woke everyone up.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Mt Kilimanjaro Mt Kilimanjaro
Mt Kilimanjaro

Flying past Mt Kilimanjaro. The dirty and scratched windows did not make it easy to see.
Kilimanjaro  International AirportKilimanjaro  International Airport
Kilimanjaro International Airport

Finally no more flights, we arrived in Tanzania


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb