Gutted!


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Arusha
June 25th 2007
Published: June 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So last time I wrote it was the day before we were due to start our Kili climb. We had all our gear checked and packed, provisions bought and were geared up for 6 days on the mountain....then disaster, I woke up in the middle of the night before our climb vomiting. I hoped it would be gone by the morning but I was a complete wreck the next day, barely able to make it out of the bedroom let alone start hiking up a mountain! Then later the same day Suzanna was struck down too. So there we both were, lying in our hotel room which had a lovely view of the mountain just to make us feel even better! We hoped it would pass in 24hours and that we could still make the climb, unfortunately we were both laid pretty low for the best part of a week. Due to time constraints this meant no mountain. I don't know if we would have made it but I'd like to think we would have given it a pretty good shot...anyway we're definitely coming back to try again so sign up now if you're interested!

So with the Kili plans scuppered we had a week to kill and altthough we were both in pretty bad shape we wanted to get something done so we opted for a 5day safari to cover Ngorogoro Conservation Area, the Serengeti, Lake Manyara and Tarangire National Park. We set off with our driver, Willie, for Lake Manyara on the first day. Unfortunately due to a series of events including a horrific car crash happening right in front of us (car flipped over...Suz and I made pathetic attempts at first aid with equipment consisting of plasters and disinfectant!) we never made it to Manyara...a week of great luck eh? Despite the feeling that we were on an OAP holiday (apparently safari is the thing to do when you're 60+) the rest of the safari went a little more smoothly, including camping in a tent in the middle of Serengeti with lions literally 50 meters from our door, apparently the previous morning they had taken up residence in the kitchen tent! Anyway saw lions, elephants giraffe, zebra, leopard, hippos etc etc, all very David Attenborough!

Anyway we fly out to Zanzibar tomorrow for some much needed R&R on the beach, will try and get some photos up soon!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb