February 25th - 27th


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Arusha » Arusha City
February 28th 2014
Published: February 28th 2014
Edit Blog Post

This week we have been made to feel even more welcome at the school and at home. Even one day away and we were missed. I am more involved in teaching, and the children are working their way under my skin and in my heart. They will be hard to leave. We went on home visits, this time mainly to businesses, because parents couldn't be at home. There is no worry about our arrival it seems, even though we are many. We are always welcomed in to sit and talk about their child's progress. Projects Abroad arranged for a dirty day this Thursday. We gathered at the office in the morning and took a bus outside of the city to a Masaai area. They a building a school there. We were brought to dig trenches for planting a bush fence around the area where they will be building. We used hoe, shovels to break the ground and then machetes to cut the bush saplings. We then stick the cut ends half a foot into the ground. They are very fast rooting sticks and grow to bush status very quickly. It was back breaking, blister raising work in the intense sun with a light wind to blow dust in your face. I liked it, but many of the young twenty something volunteers had difficulty with the concept of continuous work. Jacob again proved his mettle and continued doing all that he could the entire time. We were then brought for a lunch that was really good, with way too much food. I was weary, but the day felt good.

Good Night and Sweet Dreams

Advertisement



2nd March 2014

Hello from home
Gilly - woking with the Massai, it all sounds too amazing, imagine listing african animals like the names of dogs. Good on you and Jacob. I''m sorry we won't get to see him on your turn around week. Take care and thanks for the opportunity of vicarious travelling! J

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb