Dusty in Ed Damazin


Advertisement
Sudan's flag
Africa » Sudan
June 6th 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ed DamazinEd DamazinEd Damazin

Galib has been relocated to this area
Galib has been transferred to a village in the Blue Nile State called Ed Damazin, just 600 kms to the Sout East of Khartoum effective last weekend.

The village borders Ethiopia.

Rainy season starts next week until October, so he will be mosquitoing up to prevent any malaria. That entails taking pills to prevent malaria, 99 percent DEET and lots of netting.

There was a rain storm last evening which consisted of "sideways" rain. So all of the rain came through the windows and soaked everything. About 1 inch in total. This made the phone lines inoperable as well as the computers. Galib said everything he owned, including his camera with the little chip was soaked. Except for his "Eye-Pod" which he slept with, it's like a blankey, or I guess...my replacement 😊. Everything will apparently work again when it's dry, so he's not concerned about any damage.

Laundry is collected by the banana tree or it will not be washed.

Galib mentioned "Movie night". This is where everyone gathers on the roof top, and they set up a projector and watch a DVD on the side of one of the cement houses. Oh, don't forget
Home Sweet HomeHome Sweet HomeHome Sweet Home

Entrance to Galib's new digs
to bring your mosquito net & Deet!

Galib is really enjoying his truck. Looks like a Nissan truck from the photo. He says it takes
8 hours to drive 100 km. Lots o Muddy. Thick red mud, like clay almost. You have to drive in a convoy because you will get stuck and you need the other trucks to pull you out. There are not really any names of roads, because their aren't really any roads, it's all dirt, dirt, and more dirt, so everything is spoken in co-ordinates. Damazin is located at 11°46′0″N, 34°21′0″E. Drivers (including Galib) must be extremely cautious of land mines. There is no driving off into unknown territories. There are special alerts as to which co-ordinates are no-go zones because they are actively mined. Eeek.

He told me that someone just let the air out of 2 his tires. I asked who would do that, and apparently it is just a nuisance that you have to deal with. There is all sorts of minor vandalism and mischief in the village.

Galib's bedroom basically consists of a mosquito net bed, a clothes line for drying clothes, and a little night stand. That's it.
TransportationTransportationTransportation

Galib is very happy about this. He pointed out that his is located on the far right...to me, they all look the same???
Basic living. And at a cost of $700 USD per month. Yeah, that's right...he pays rent!

He also mentioned that he is freezing since the temperature dropped from the usual 50 degrees to 20 degrees.

Galib, be safe in Damazin. We're missing you lots!





Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Barney sinkBarney sink
Barney sink

I like the cheery purple color
GB boredGB bored
GB bored

Looks dark...I think he is trying to hide his sunglass tan lines from me...he promised no lines for the wedding photos
BedroomBedroom
Bedroom

Not exactly the the same as 5***** accomodations
The facilitiesThe facilities
The facilities

Eeeew. This actually looks worse than Pakistan.
Ed ObeidEd Obeid
Ed Obeid

From the plane
Ed ObeidEd Obeid
Ed Obeid

another photo from the plane en route to Ed Damazin


8th June 2007

Great
Wow the lucky guy having so much fun....gee i wish i could go all over and have sooo much fun....nice place 2...boy living the good life..hes got it all...well take care love the Dad
4th November 2009

nice to see damazine where I live now
Thanks to Galib and Cin. The place where I live is in the second next lane to the Ministry of Education, near University. We, 5 Indians stay in a house almost similar to the one which is shown in the pictures of Galib. We are having a big compound. Three bed rooms, big enough hall, very big kitchen and toilets....nice. We the Indians are liked by the locals since they watch almost the Indian films with arabic sub titles and of course thats a previlege for us. Rice, brinjal, potato, tomato, carrots, capsicum, gourd, onion, chilli and some leafy vegetables and self cooking. Drinking water from Pakistan Base camp..nice. I, being an Indian never dreamt about living pals with nice Pakistani Army and Police...really enjoying... I personally feal that it is a game of politics between the two brotherly countries..even my pakistani friends aslo feel the same. about 22 nationals are working together in damazine and we dont feel ...away home. Thanks...Galib and Cin.

Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 15; qc: 64; dbt: 0.1182s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb